Sorption of heavy metals from aqueous solutions with synthetic zeolites
S.A. Bibanaeva, V.M. Skachkov
Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS
Abstract: The work is devoted to the study of the possibility of using synthetic aluminosilicate zeolites obtained from recycled solutions of alumina production by the hydro-alkaline method as sorbents of heavy metal ions (copper, zinc and iron), as well as fluorine and chlorine ions from slightly acidic aqueous solutions. Natural zeolite and graphite were used as comparison samples under the same conditions. The chemical qualitative and quantitative composition, morphology of the initial reagents and the resulting solutions were studied. It has been established that synthetic zeolite exhibits sorption properties with respect to heavy metal ions that exceed the indicators under the same conditions for comparison objects. Also, positive results were obtained during the sorption of chlorine and fluorine ions. The conducted studies allow us to recommend the obtained samples for further research in order to introduce it not only for the extraction of various ions from aqueous solutions, but also for use in various industries.
Keywords: wastewater treatment, synthetic zeolite, sorption, heavy metals, aluminosilicate
- Svetlana A. Bibanaeva – Researcher, Laboratories of heterogeneous processes chemistry, Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS
- Vladimir M. Skachkov – Ph.D., Senior Researcher, Laboratories of heterogeneous processes chemistry, Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS
Bibanaeva, S.A. Sorption of heavy metals from aqueous solutions with synthetic zeolites / S.A. Bibanaeva, V.M. Skachkov // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2023. — I. 15. — P. 924-929. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2023.15.924. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Marantos I., Christidis G. E., Ulmanu M. Zeolite formation and deposits, Handbook of Natural Zeolites, Bentham Science Publ., 2012, pp. 28-51. DOI: 10.2174/978160805261511201010028.
2. Lima R.C., Bieseki L., Melguizo P.V., Pergher S.B.C. Environmentally friendly zeolites. Synthesis and source materials, Cham, Springer, 2019, 121 p. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-19970-8.
3. Loganina V.I., Frolov M.V.Issledovanie sinergeticheskogo effekta dobavki na osnove gidrosilikatov i gidroalyumosilikatov kal'tsiya [Study of the synergetic effect of additive based on calcium hydrosilicates and hydroaluminosilicates] Vestnik belgorodskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnologicheskogo universiteta im. V.G. Shuhova [Bulletin of BSTU named after V.G. Shukhov], 2019, no. 7, pp. 8-13. DOI: 10.34031/article_5d35d0b645d6f8.37881085. (In Russian).
4. Bacakova L., Vandrovcova M., Kopova I., Jirka I. Applications of zeolites in biotechnology and medicine – a review, Biomaterials Science, 2018, vol. 6, issue 5, pp. 974-989. DOI: 10.1039/c8bm00028j.
5. Leonov S.B., Martynova T.M., Chernyak A.S., Salov V.M. Ochistka prirodnykh i stochnykh vod mineral'nymi tseolitami [Natural and wastewater treatment with mineral zeolites], Irkutsk, Irkutsk University Publ., 1994,56 p. (In Russian).
6. Karataev O. R., Novikov V. F., Shamsutdinova Z. R. Ochistka stochnykh vod tseolitsoderzhashchimi porodami [Wastewater treatment with zeolite-containing rocks] Vestnik kazanskogo tekhnologicheskogo universiteta [Bulletin of Kazan Technological University], 2014, vol. 17, no. 15, pp. 169-174. (In Russian).
7. Bibanaeva S.A. Sintez alyumosilikatnykh tseolitov v usloviyakh glinozemnogo proizvodstva [Synthesis of aluminosilicate zeolites in the conditions of alumina production], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2022, issue 14, pp. 747-753. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2022.14.747. (In Russian).
8. Bibanaeva S.A., Skachkov V.M., Sabirzyanov N.A. Sposob polucheniya sinteticheskogo alyumosilikatnogo ceolita [Method for producing synthetic aluminosilicate zeolite]. Patent RF, no. 2780972, 2022. (In Russian).
9. Bibanaeva S.A., Skachkov V.M. Sposob polucheniya sinteticheskogo ceolita [Method for producing synthetic zeolite]. Patent RF, no. 2787819, 2023. (In Russian).
10. Zanin E., Scapinello J., de Oliveira M., Rambo C. L. et.al. Adsorption of heavy metals from wastewater graphic industry using clinoptilolite zeolite as adsorbent, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 2017, vol. 105, pp. 194-200. DOI: 10.1016/j.psep.2016.11.008.
11. Hui K.S., Chao C.Y.H., Kot S.C. Removal of mixed heavy metal ions in wastewater by zeolite 4A and residual products from recycled coal fly ash, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2005, vol. 127, issue 1-3, pp. 89-101. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2005.06.027.
12. Goscianska J., Ptaszkowska-Koniarz M., Frankowski M. et al. Removal of phosphate from water by lanthanum-modified zeolites obtained from fly ash, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2018, vol. 513, pp. 72-81. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2017.11.003.
13. Wang S., Zhu Z.H. Characterisation and environmental application of an Australian natural zeolite for basic dye removal from aqueous solution, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2006, vol. 136, issue 3, pp. 946-952. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2006.01.038.
14. Jiang N., Shang R., Heijman S.G.J., Rietveld L.C. Adsorption of triclosan, trichlorophenol, and phenol by high-silica zeolites: adsorption efficiencies and mechanisms, Separation and Purification Technology, 2020, vol. 235. art. no. 116152, 43 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.seppur.2019.116152.