Investigation of transport properties hydroxyapatite and its derivatives
E.A. Bogdanova1, T.G. Khonina2, N.A. Sabirzyanov1
1 Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS
2 I.Ya Postovsky Institute of Organic Synthesis Ural Branch of RAS
Abstract: The article discusses the possibility of practical application of hydroxyapatite and fluorapatite as components of medicines, pharmaceutical compositions and biomaterials, the use of which is based on the transdermal delivery route of the active substance. The viscosity, density, degree of dispersion and transport properties (transmucose permeability) of hydroxyapatite and fluorapatite were estimated using modern physicochemical methods of analysis. Particular attention is paid to the joint use of the studied substances and silicon glycerolates as a conductor with pronounced transcutaneous, penetrating properties, contributing to the accumulation of locally applied drugs in biological membranes (skin, mucosa, etc.) without disturbing its structure. It is shown that the transport properties that determine the effectiveness of the action depend on the physico-chemical characteristics of the substances being penetrated. Diffusion transfer and the ability to control the processes taking place can be used for optimal design of drugs for targeted delivery through the skin and mucous membranes.
Keywords: hydroxyapatite, fluorsubstituted hydroxyapatite; siliconglycerolatas; transmucosal permeability
- Ekaterina A. Bogdanova – Ph.D., Senior Researcher, Laboratory of heterogeneous processes chemistry, Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS
- Tatyana G. Khonina – Dr.Sc., Leading Researcher, Laboratory of Organic Materials, I.Ya Postovsky Institute of Organic Synthesis Ural Branch of RAS
- Nail A. Sabirzyanov – Dr.Sc., Chief Researcher, Head of the Laboratory of heterogeneous processes chemistry, Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS
Bogdanova, E.A. Investigation of transport properties hydroxyapatite and its derivatives / E.A. Bogdanova, T.G. Khonina, N.A. Sabirzyanov // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2023. — I. 15. — P. 659-669. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2023.15.659. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Barinov S.M., Komlev V.S. Biokeramika na osnove fosfatov kal'tsiya [Calcium phosphate bioceramics]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 2006, 204 p. (In Russian).
2. Dorozhkin S.V. Calcium orthophosphates, Journal of Materials Science, 2007, vol. 42, issue 4, pp. 1061-1095. DOI: 10.1007/s10853-006-1467-8.
3. Basu B., Nath S. Fundamentals of biomaterials and biocompatibility, Advanced Biomaterials: Fundamentals, Processing, and Applications, 2010, chapter 1, pp. 3-18. DOI: 10.1002/9780470891315.ch1.
4. Karimi E., Khalil-Allafi J., Khalili V. Electrophoretic deposition of double-layer HA/Al composite coating on NiTi, Materials Science and Engineering C, 2016, vol. 58, pp. 882-890. DOI: 10.1016/j.msec.2015.09.035.
5. Guidara A., Chaari K., Fakhfakh S., Bouaziz J. The effects of MgO, ZrO2 and TiO2 as additives on microstructure and mechanical properties of Al2O3-Fap composite, Materials Chemistry and Physic, 2017, vol. 202, pp. 358-368. DOI: 10.1016/j.matchemphys.2017.09.039.
6. Jampilek J. Transdermal application of drugs and techniques affecting skin barrier, Journal of Bioequivalence & Bioavailability, 2013, vol. 5, issue 6, pp. 233-235. DOI: 10.4172/jbb.1000164.
7. Dehghan M.H.G., Dandge B.H, Gaikwad V.M, Jagdale S. Bioadhesive drug delivery systems - background, applications and trends, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2010, vol. 3, issue 1, pp. 234-238. DOI: DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.
8. Benson H.A.E. Transdermal drug delivery: penetration enhancement techniques, Current Drug Delivery, 2005, vol. 2, issue. 1, pp. 23-33. DOI: 10.2174/1567201052772915.
9. Vasilev A., Krasnyuk I.I., Ravikumar S., Tokhmachi V.N. Transdermal'nye terapevticheskie sistemy dostavki lekarstvennykh veshchestv (obzor) [Transdermal therapeutic drug delivery systems (review)], KhimikoFarmatsevticheskii Zhurnal [Pharmaceutical Chemistry Journal], 2001, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 29-42. (In Russian).
10. Khonina T.G., Larionov L.P., Rusinov G.L., Suvorov A.L., Chupakhin O.N. Glitseraty kremniya, obladayushchie transkutannoj provodimost'yu medikamentoznykh sredstv, i glitserogidrogeli na ikh osnove [Silocon glycerates eliciting transcutaneous conductivity of medical agents and glycerohydrogels based on thereof ]. Patent RF, no. 2255939, 2005. (In Russian).
11. Khonina T.G., Chupakhin O.N., Nikitina E.Y. et al. Silicon-hydroxyapatite‒glycerohydrogel as a promising biomaterial for dental applications, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2020, vol. 189, art. no. 110851, 8 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2020.110851.
12. Sabirzyanov N.A., Bogdanova E.A., Khonina T.G. Sposob polucheniya suspenzii gidroksiapatita [A method of obtaining a suspension of hydroxyapatite]. Patent RF, no. 2406693, 2010. (In Russian).
13. Sabirzyanov N.A., Bogdanova E.A., Skachkov V.M. Sposob polucheniya suspenzii apatita [A method of obtaining apatite suspension]. Patent RF, no. 2652193, 2018. (In Russian).
14. Yatsenko S.P., Sabirzyanov N.A., Sposob polucheniya gidroksiapatita [A method of obtaining hydroxyapatite]. Patent RF, no. 2104924, 1998. (In Russian).
15. Bogdanova E.A., Skachkov V.М., Medyankina I.S. et al. Formation of nanodimensional structures in precipitated hydroxyapatite by fluorine substitution, SN Applied Sciences, 2020, vol. 2, issue 9, art. no. 1565, 7 p. DOI: 10.1007/s42452-020-03388-5.
16. Bogdanova E.A., Skachkov V.M. Issledovanie reologicheskikh svojstv gidroksiapatita i ftorapatita, nakhodyashchikhsya v kolloidnom sostoyanii [Investigation of rheological properties of hydroxyapatite and fluorapatite in colloidal state], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2020, issue 11, pp. 525-534. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2020.12.525. (In Russian).
17. Bogdanova E.A., Sabirzyanov N.A., Khonina T.G. Transport properties of some forms of hydroxyapatite, International Journal of BioMaterials Science and Engineering, 2015, vol. 2, issue 1, pp. 1-4.
18. Mandra Y.V., Legkikh A.V., Bogdanova E.A. et al. Stomatologicheskij gel' dlya remineralizatsii tverdykh tkanej zubov i sposob remineralizatsii tverdykh tkanej zubov [Dental gel for remineralization of hard tissues of teeth and method of remineralization of hard tissues of teeth]. Patent RF, no. 2677231, 2019. (In Russian).