The effect of metal additives on conversion hematite in the processing of bauxite by the Buyer method
S.A. Bibanaeva, V.M. Skachkov
The Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS
Abstract: The work is devoted to the study of the influence of mono – and composite metal additives on the process of processing bauxite by the hydro-alkaline method. The chemical qualitative and quantitative composition, morphology of red mud (RM) obtained under conditions of autoclave high- temperature leaching were studied. X-ray phase studies aimed at determining the composition and structure of compounds in red mud were carried out. The prospects of the method of autoclave leaching of hard-to-open bauxites with simultaneous extraction of alumina and conversion of hematite to magnetite by hydrogen gas are shown. It was found that the method allows the processing of bauxite with a high degree of alumina extraction and allows to obtain red mud with different magnetic fraction content and low sodium content. The resulting magnetized red mud is suitable for processing by magnetic separation and makes it a promising raw material for the ferrous metallurgy. The dependence of the degree of conversion of hematite to magnetite on the type of reducing agent is determined. According to the results of the research, a patent for the invention was obtained.
Keywords: the bauxite leaching, the recovery of iron, the Bayer process, red mud, hematite, magnetite
- Svetlana A. Bibanaeva – Researcher, Laboratory of Heterogeneous Processes, The Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS
- Vladimir M. Skachkov – Ph. D., Leading Researcher, Laboratory of Heterogeneous Processes, The Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS
Bibanaeva, S.A. The effect of metal additives on conversion hematite in the processing of bauxite by the Buyer method / S.A. Bibanaeva, V.M. Skachkov // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. – Tver: TSU, 2021. — I. 13. — P. 809-817. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.809. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Zinoveev D.V., Grudinskii P.I., Dyubanov V.G., Kovalenko L.V., Leont’ev L.I. Global recycling experience of red mud - a review. Part i: pyrometallurgical methods Obzor mirovoj praktiki pererabotki krasnykh shlamov. Chast' 1. Pirometallurgicheskie sposoby, Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenij. Chernaya metallurgiya [Izvestiya. Ferrous Metallurgy], 2018, V. 61, no. 11, pp. 843-858. DOI: 10.17073/0368-0797-2018-11-843-858. (In Russian).
2. Teplov O.A. Kinetics of the low-temperature hydrogen reduction of magnetite concentrates, Russian Metallurgy (Metally), 2012, issue 1, pp. 8-21.
3. Lu J.F., Tsai C.J. Reduction kinetics of hematite to magnetite under hydrothermal treatments, RSC Advances, 2015, vol. 5, issue 22, pp. 17236-17244. DOI: 10.1039/C4RA12389A.
4. Zhu H., Yang D., Zhu L. Hydrothermal growth and characterization of magnetite (Fe3O4) thin films, Surface & Coatings Technology, 2007, vol. 201, issue 12, pp. 5870-5874. DOI: 10.1016/J.SURFCOAT.2006.10.037.
5. Yanagisawa K., Yamasaki N. Reduction of hematite to magnetite under controlled hydrothermal conditions with hydrogen gas, Journal of Materials Science, 1991, vol. 26, issue 2, pp. 473-478. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00576545.
6. Otake T., Wesolowski D.J., Anovitz L.M., Allard L.F., Ohmoto H. Experimental evidence for non-redox transformations between magnetite and hematite under H2 -rich hydrothermal conditions, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 2007, vol. 257, issue 1, pp. 60-70. DOI: 10.1016/j.epsl.2007.02.022.
7. LI X.-B., Wang Y.-L., Zhou Q.-S. et al. Recovery of alumina and ferric oxide from Bayer red mud rich in iron by reduction sintering, Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, 2009, vol. 19, issue 5, pp.1342- 1347. DOI: 10.1016/S1003-6326(08)60447-1.
8. Li X.-B., Wang Y.-L., Zhou Q.-S. et al. Reaction behaviors of iron and hematite in sodium aluminate solution at elevated temperature, Hydrometallurgy, 2018, vol. 175, pp. 257-265. DOI: 10.1016/j.hydromet.2017.12.004.
9. Li X.-B., Liu N., Qi T.G. et al. Conversion of ferric oxide to magnetite by hydrothermal reduction in Bayer digestion process, Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, 2015, vol. 25, issue 10, pp. 3467-3474. DOI: 10.1016/S1003-6326(15)63984-X.
10. LI X.-B., Wang Y.-L., Zhou Q.-S. et al. Transformation of hematite in diasporic bauxite during reductive Bayer digestion and recovery of iron, Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, 2017, vol. 27, issue 12, pp. 2715-2726. DO: 10.1016/S1003-6326(17)60300-5.
11. Bibanaeva S.A., Pasechnik L.A, Skachkov V.M., Surikov V.T., Yatsenko S.P. Vliyanie metallicheskikh dobavok pri gidrokhimicheskoj pererabotke diaspor-bemitovykh boksitov na fiziko-khimicheskie svojstva vosstanovlennykh shlamov [Effect of metal additives in hydrochemical processing of diaspore-bemite bauxite on physicochemical properties of reduced muds], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2020, issue 12, pp.784-791. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2020.12.784. (In Russian).
12. Bibanaeva S.A., Pasechnik L.A., Skachkov V.M., Sabirzyanov N.A. Sposob pererabotki boksitov [Method of processing bauxite]. Patent RF, no. 2741030, 2021. (In Russian).