Analysis of methods for synthesis of a boron-doped lithium niobate charge used for growing single crystals
I.V. Tananaev Institute of Chemistry – Subdivision of the Federal Research Centre «Kola Science Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences»
Abstract: Known methods of a boron doped lithium niobate charge synthesis were analyzed. Such a charge is applied for the growth by Czochralski of single crystals with high optical quality. Homogeneous doping (the charge is obtained from precursor Nb2O5 : B and Li2CO3 ) was compared with solid phase doping (the charge is obtained from the mixture Li2CO3 : Nb2O5 : H3BO3). Homogeneous doping was determined to help produce LiNbO3 : B crystals with a more uniform distribution of a boron dopant, boron distributes more uniform in the melt volume; technological regimes established during crystal growth become easier. For the first time the paper considers liquidphase charge synthesis method; the method excludes the stage of annealing of homogenized mixture of niobium pentoxide and lithium carbonate. Results are crucial for the choice of technology at growing of boron doped lithium niobate crystals for exact areas of technics.
Keywords: lithium niobate, charge synthesis, single crystal, doping, boron, optical quality
- Sofia M. Masloboeva – Ph. D., Docent, Senior Researcher, Materials of Electronic Engineering Laboratory, I.V. Tananaev Institute of Chemistry – Subdivision of the Federal Research Centre «Kola Science Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences»
Masloboeva, S.M. Analysis of methods for synthesis of a boron-doped lithium niobate charge used for growing single crystals / S.M. Masloboeva // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2021. — I. 13. — P. 750-759. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.750. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Lines M.E., Glass A.M. Principles and applications of ferroelectrics and related materials. Oxford, Clarendon Press., 1977, 680 р. DOI:10.1093/acprof:oso/9780198507789.001.0001.
2. Kuz'minov Yu.S. Elektroopticheskij i nelinejnoopticheskij kristall niobata litiya [Electro-optical and nonlinear-optical crystal of lithium niobate]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1987, 264 p. (In Russian).
3. Kuz'minov Yu.S. Niobat i tantalat litiya – materialy dlya nelinejnoj optiki [Lithium niobate and tantalate – materials for nonlinear optics], ed. by V.V. Osiko. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1975, 223 p. (In Russian).
4. Volk T., Wohlecke M. Lithium niobate. Defects, photorefraction and ferroelectric switching. Berlin, Springer, 2008, 250 p. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-540-70766-0.
5. Sidorov N.V., Volk T.P., Mavrin B.N., Kalinnikov V.T. Niobat litiya: defekty, fotorefraktsiya, kolebatel'nyi spektr, polyaritony [Lithium niobate: defects, photorefraction, vibrational spectrum, polaritons]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 2003, 255 p. (In Russian).
6. Palatnivov M.N., Biryukova I.V., Makarova O.V. et al. Poluchenie i svojstva kristallov niobata litiya, vyrashchennyh iz rasplavov kongruentnogo sostava, legirovannyh borom [Preparation and properties of lithium niobate crystals grown from melts of congruent composition doped with boron], Trudy Kol'skogo nauchnogo tsentra RAN. Khimiya i materialovedenie [Proceedings of the Kola Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Chemistry and Materials Science], 2015, no. 5 (31). pp. 434-438. (In Russian).
7. Palatnikov M.N., Sidorov N.V., Kalinnikov V.T. Tekhnologiya upravlyaemogo sinteza monokristallicheskikh i keramicheskikh materialov na osnove niobatov-tantalatov shchelochnykh metallov [Technology of controlled synthesis of monocrystalline and ceramic materials based on niobates-tantalates of alkali metals], Tsvetnye metally [Non-ferrous Мetals], 2000, no. 10, pp. 54-60. (In Russian).
8. Masloboeva S.M., Kadyrova G.I., Arutyunyan L.G. Synthesis of Nb2O5 solid precursors and LiNbO3B atches and their phase compositions, Russian Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, 2016, vol. 61, issue 4, pp. 412-419. DOI: 10.1134/S0036023616040148.
9. Masloboeva S.M., Efremov I.N., Biryukova I.V., Palatnikov M.N. Growth and characterization of a borondoped lithium niobate single crystal, Inorganic Materials, 2020, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 1147-1152. DOI: 10.1134/S0020168520110072.
10. Titov R.A., Voskresenskiy V.M., Sidorov N.V., Teplyakova N.A., Palatnikov M.N. Structural features and optical properties of nominally pure LiNbO3 crystals grown from a charge containing B2O3, Тechnical Physics, 2021, vol. 66, issue 1, pp. 59-66. (In Russian). DOI: 10.1134/S1063784221010217.