Thermal stability of fullerenes from the C28-C50 series in a nitrogen atmosphere
N.M. Barbin1,2, L.V. Yakupova1, D.I. Terent’ev1
1 Ural Institute of the State Fire Service
2 Ural State Agrarian University
Abstract: In order to study the thermal stability of fullerenes Cn (n = 28, 32, 44, 50) in a nitrogen medium during the transition from the condensed phase to the gas phase and further reactions in the vapor phase, the method of thermodynamic modeling was used. Based on the results of the calculation, chemical reactions in the Cn–N2 system were compiled and temperature intervals wereidentified for each reaction. In this work, a comparative study of the thermal stability ranges of Cn fullerenes in the condensed and gas phases has been carried out. As a result of heating, the physicochemical processes occurring in the carbon-nitrogen system are distinguished, which can be divided into three groups: reactions occurring in the condensed phase, between the condensed and gas phases, and sublimation with thermal dissociation. It is clearly demonstrated that with an increase in the number of carbon atoms in the condensed phase, fullerenes exhibit their thermal instability, in contrast to the solid solution of fullerenes. This study is one of a series of works devoted to the properties of nanoparticles in nitrogen atmosphere, which can be used in the development of new flame retardant compositions.
Keywords: fullerenes, thermal stability, thermodynamic modeling, physical and chemical process, chemical reactions
- Nikolay M. Barbin – Dr. Sc., Docent, Leading Researcher, Department of the Educational-scientific Complex, Ural Institute of the State Fire Service, director of the Research Institute of Physical and Chemical Problems and Technosphere Safety Ural State Agrarian University
- Lydia V. Yakupova – Senior Researcher, Head of the Department of the Educational and Scientific Complex, Ural Institute of the State Fire Service
- Dmitriy I. Terent’ev – Ph. D., Docent, Leading Researcher, Department of the Educational and Scientific Complex, Ural Institute of the State Fire Service
Barbin, N.M. Thermal stability of fullerenes from the C28-C50 series in a nitrogen atmosphere / N.M. Barbin, L.V. Yakupova, D.I. Terent’ev // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2023. — I. 15. — P. 350-356. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2023.15.350. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Eletskii A.V., Smirnov B.M. Fullerenes, Physics-Uspekhi, 1993, vol. 36, issue 3, pp. 202-224. DOI: 10.1070/PU1993v036n03ABEH002129.
2. Eletskii A.V., Smirnov B.M. Fullerenes and carbon structures, Physics-Uspekhi, 1995, vol. 38, issue 9, pp. 935-964. DOI: 10.1070/PU1995v038n09ABEH000103.
3. Diky V.V., Kabo G.Ya. Thermodynamic properties of C60 and C70 fullerenes, Russian Chemical Reviews, 2000, vol. 69, issue 2, pp. 95-104. DOI: 10.1070/RC2000v069n02ABEH000535.
4. Borodin V.I., Trukhacheva V.A. Thermal stability of fullerenes, Technical Physics Letters, 2004, vol. 30, issue 7, pp. 598-599. DOI: 10.1134/1.1783414.
5. Moiseev G.K., Vyatkin G.P., Barbin N.M., Kazantsev G.F. Primenenie termodinamicheskogo modelirovaniya dlya izucheniya vzaimodejstvij s uchastiem ionnykh rasplavov [Application of thermodynamic modeling to study interactions involving ionic melts], Chelyabinsk, South Ural State University Publ., 2002, 165 p. (In Russian).
6. Belov G.V., Trusov B.G. Termodinamicheskoe modelirovanie khimicheski reagiruyushchikh sistem [Thermodynamic modeling of chemically reacting systems], Moscow, MSTU named after N.E. Bauman Publ., 2013, 96 p. (In Russian).
7. Trusov B.G. Komp'yuternoe modelirovanie fazovykh i khimicheskikh ravnovesij [Computer modeling of phase and chemical equilibria], Inzhenernyj vestnik [Engineering Bulletin], 2012, no. 8, 7 p. (In Russian).
8. Gurvich L.V., Weitz I.V., Medvedev V.A. Termodinamicheskie svojstva individual'nykh veshchestv. Spravochnoe izdanie: v 4 tomakh [Thermodynamic properties of individual substances. Reference edition in 4 vol.], 3rd ed., vol. IV, part 1, Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1982, 623 p. (In Russian).
9. Barbin N.M., Yakupova L.V., Terent’ev D.I., Kuanyshev V.Т. Thermal properties of fullerene С56, Materials Science Forum, 2021, vol. 1040, pp. 15-20. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.1040.15.
10. Barbin N.M., Yakupova L.V., Terent’ev D.I., Kuanyshev V.Т. Comparative analysis of thermal characteristics of higher fullerenes when heated in a nitrogen atmosphere, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2022, vol. 2388, art. no. 012121, 5 p. DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/2388/1/012121.
11. Barbin N.M., Yakupova L.V., Terentiev D.I., Kuanyshev V.T. Raspad fullerena C28 v atmosfere azota pri nagreve [Decomposition of fullerene C28 in a nitrogen atmosphere during heating], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2022, issue 14, pp. 24-30. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2022.14.024. (In Russian).