Stabilization of the dielectric properties of solid solution ceramics based on calcium–barium niobate
A.S. Mitchenko1, O.V. Malyshkina1, O.S. Guseva2, A.I. Ivanova1
1 Tver State University
2 Russian Technological University MIREA
Abstract: In this work, we studied the effect of a modifying additive of finely dispersed polystyrene (2 wt.%) on the dielectric and pyroelectric properties of the ceramic samples Ca0.3Ba0.7Nb2O6 (CBN30) and solid solutions based on it with the addition (5%) of SrTiO3 or LiTaO3, obtained by the solid-phase synthesis method. It is shown that the presence of polystyrene during the sintering of solid solution ceramics based on CBN30 leads to the formation of nanosized pores in the samples and, as a result, leads to a significant decrease in the dielectric losses and a change in the nature of the permittivity dispersion in a wide frequency range of fabricated samples. As a result, the shape of the dispersion diagrams of the ceramics based on CBN30 became similar to the dielectric dispersion of industrial samples of the piezoelectric ceramics of lead zirconate-titanate. The studies of the pyroelectric effect on polarized ceramic samples based on CBN30 revealed that the samples sintered with the presence of polystyrene, in contrast to the samples sintered without polystyrene, have a uniform polarization distribution over the thickness.
Keywords: piezoelectric ceramics, barium-calcium niobate, lead-free materials, modifiers, grain structure, permittivity
- Artem S. Mitchenko – 1st year master's student, Tver State University
- Olga V. Malyshkina – Dr. Sc., Full Professor, Professor, Department of Computer Security and Mathematical Control Methods, Tver State University
- Olga S. Guseva – Junior research fellow, Russian Technological University MIREA
- Alexandra I. Ivanova – Ph. D., Docent of the Applied Physic Department, Tver State University
Mitchenko, A.S. Stabilization of the dielectric properties of solid solution ceramics based on calcium–barium niobate / A.S. Mitchenko, O.V. Malyshkina, O.S. Guseva, A.I. Ivanova // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2023. — I. 15. — P. 178-188. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2023.15.178. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Rödel, J., Webber K.G., Dittmer R. et al. Transferring lead-free piezoelectric ceramics into application, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 2015, vol. 35, issue 6, pp. 1659-1681. DOI:10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2014.12.013.
2. Malič B., Koruza J., Hreščak J. et al. Sintering of lead-free piezoelectric sodium potassium niobate ceramics, Materials, 2015, vol. 8, issue 12, pp. 8117-8146. DOI: 10.3390/ma8125449.
3. Malyshkina O.V., Patsuev K.V., Ivanova A.I., Ali M. Sravnitel'nyj analiz svojstv keramik niobata natriya i niobata natriya – litiya [Comparative analysis of the properties of sodium niobate and sodium – lithium niobate ceramics], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2021. issue 13. pp. 278-285. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.278. (In Russian).
4. Malyshkina O.V., Ivanova A.I., Karelina K.S., Petrov R.A. Osobennosti struktury keramiki na osnove titanata bariya i titanata kal'tsiya [Structure features of barium and calcium titanate ceramics], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2020, issue 12. pp. 652-661. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2020.12.652. (In Russian).
5. Wu J., Xiao D., Zhu J. Potassium-sodium niobate lead-free piezoelectric materials: past, present, and future of phase boundaries, Chemical Reviews, 2015, vol. 115, issue 7, pp. 2559-2595. DOI: 10.1021/cr5006809.
6. Es’kov A.V., Anokhin A.S., Bui M.T. et al. Investigation of the electrocaloric effect in strontium barium niobate (SBN) ceramics with rare-earth dopants, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2018, vol. 1038, art. no. 012115, 5 p. DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/1038/1/012115.
7. Chen H., Guo S., Yao C. et al. Induced anisotropic behavior and enhanced electrical properties on hotpressed strontium barium niobate ceramics, Ceramics International, 2017, vol. 43, issue 4, pp. 3610-3615. DOI: 10.1016/j.ceramint.2016.11.198.
8. Yao Y., Guo K., Bi D. et al. Pyroelectric properties of calcium doped strontium barium niobate ceramics Sr0.65−xCaxBa0.35Nb2O6, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 2018, vol. 29, issue 20, pp. 17777-17785 DOI: 10.1007/s10854-018-9885-3.
9. Lukasiewicz T., Swirkowicz M.A., Dec J. et al. Strontium–barium niobate single crystals, growth and ferroelectric properties, Journal of Crystal Growth, 2008, vol. 310, issue 7, pp. 1464-1469. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcrysgro.2007.11.233.
10. Malyshkina O.V., Lisitsin V.S., Dec J., Łukasiewicz T. Pyroelectric and dielectric properties of calcium barium niobate single crystals, Physics of the Solid State, 2014, vol. 56, issue 9, pp. 1824-1827. DOI: 10.1134/S1063783414090194.
11. Guseva O.S., Malyshkina O.V., Ivanova A.I., Boitsova K.N. Osobennosti struktury keramiki na osnove niobata bariya - kal'tsiya [Barium and calcium niobate ceramics: specific features of their structure], Fizikokhimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2021, issue 13, pp. 85-95. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.085. (In Russian).
12. Malyshkina O.V., Guseva O.S., Mitchenko A.S., Kislova I.L. Effect of SrTiO3, KTaO3, and LiTaO3 doping on the dielectric properties of Ca0.3Ba0.7Nb2O6 ceramics, Physics of the Solid State, 2022, vol. 64, issue 7, pp. 813-817. DOI: 10.21883/PSS.2022.07.54585.313.
13. Poplavko Yu.M. Fizika dielektrikov [Physics of dielectrics]. Kiev, Vishcha shkola, 1980, 400 p. (In Russian).
14. Golovnin V.А., Kaplunov I.А., Ped'ko B.B. et al. Fizicheskie osnovy, metody issledovaniya i prakticheskoe primenenie p'ezomaterialov [Physical foundations, research methods and practical application of piezomaterials]. – Moscow, TEKHNOSFERА Publ., 2013. – 272 p. (In Russian).
15. Topchiev A.A. Vliyanie modifikatorov na dielektricheskie svojstva i formirovanie struktury keramiki na osnove tsirkonata – titanata svintsa [Influence of modifiers on dielectric properties and structure formation of ceramics based on zirconate – lead titanate], Cand. phys.-math. sci. diss.: 1.3.8. Tver, Tver State University Publ., 2021, 131 p. (In Russian).