Gate dielectric nitrization and effect on changes in the density of interlayer states of MOS structures
N.V. Cherkesova1, G.A. Mustafaev1, A.G. Mustafaev2
1 KabardinoBalkarian State University
2 Dagestan State University of National Economy
Abstract: The processes occurring in the silicon-oxygen-nitrogen system are of great practical importance, since dielectric layers made from materials of this system are widely used as barriers to the penetration of impurities, elements of storage capacitors, field insulating layers, etc. Interest in the creation of such dielectrics has increased in connection with the use of the rapid thermal annealing stage in technological processes, which are accompanied by the appearance of fast surface states and mechanical stresses on the interface. As a result of the study, it was determined that the change in the threshold voltage in MDS structures is associated with the capture of electrons by the traps formed in the bulk of the semiconductor. MDS structures with nitrided oxide have better stability than conventional oxide. Studies have shown that the suppression of the formation of states at the interface depends on the degree of nitriding. The characteristics of MDS structures under the influence of irradiation substantially depend on the temperature and duration of fast thermal nitrization.
Keywords: metal–dielectric–semiconductor, silicon oxynitride, nitrization, gate dielectric, silicon dioxide, heat treatment
- Natalya V. Cherkesova – Ph. D., Docent, Department of Electronics and Information Technologies, KabardinoBalkarian State University
- Gasan A. Mustafaev – Dr. Sc., Full Professor, Department of Electronics and Information Technologies, KabardinoBalkarian State University
- Arslan G. Mustafaev – Dr. Sc., Full Professor, Department of Information Technologies and Information Security, Dagestan State University of National Economy
Cherkesova, N.V. Gate dielectric nitrization and effect on changes in the density of interlayer states of MOS structures / N.V. Cherkesova, G.A. Mustafaev, A.G. Mustafaev // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2023. — I. 15. — P. 1070-1079. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2023.15.1070. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Bayat K., Chaudhuri S., Safavi-Naeini S.K. Low temperature silicon oxinitride technology for compact cmos compatible planar optical devices. Proceedings of the COIN-ACOFT 2007 - Joint International Conference on the Optical Internet and the 32nd Australian Conference on Optical Fibre Technology, Melbourne, Australia, June 24-27, 2007, New York, IEEE Publ., 2007, рр. 1-3. DOI: 10.1109/COINACOFT.2007.4519157.
2. Chen C.H., Fang Y.K., Yang C.W. et al. High-quality ultrathin (1.6 nm) nitride/oxide stack gate dielectrics prepared by combining remote plasma nitridation and LPCVD technologies, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 2001, vol. 22, issue 6, рр. 260-262. DOI: 10.1109/55.924835.
3. Karna S.P., Pineda A.C., Pugh R.D. et al. Electronic structure theory and mechanisms of the oxide trapped hole annealing process, IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, 2000, vol. 47, issue 6, рр. 2316-2321. DOI: 10.1109/23.903771.
4. Imai S., Takahashi M., Matsuba K. et al. Formation and electrical characteristics of silicon dioxide layers by use of nitric acid oxidation method, Acta Physica Slovaca, 2005, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 305-313.
5. Yu Z., Aceves-Mijares M., Carrillo J. Effect of nitrogen and hydrogen on the charge trapping properties of silicon rich oxide, Proceedings of the International Caribbean Conference on Devices, Circuits and Systems, Playa del Carmen, Mexico, April 26-28, 2006. New York, IEEE Publ., 2006, рр. 161-164. DOI: 10.1109/ICCDCS.2006.250854.
6. Doyen C., Yon V., Garros X. et al. Insight into HCI reliability on I/O nitrided devices, Proceedings of the IEEE International Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), Monterey, CA, USA, March 26-30, 2023. New York, IEEE Publ., 2023, рр. 1-5. DOI: 10.1109/IRPS48203.2023.10117681.
7. Islam A.E., Gupta G., Mahapatra S. et al. Gate leakage vs. NBTI in plasma nitrided oxides: characterization, physical principles, and optimization, Proceedings of the International Electron Devices Meeting, San Francisco, CA, USA, December 11-13, 2006. New York, IEEE Publ., 2006, рр. 1-4. DOI: 10.1109/IEDM.2006.346775.
8. Cavarsan F.A., Toma A., Fo J.G. et al. Characteristics of silicon oxide gate MOS capacitors formed by rapid thermal oxidation and annealing. Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Advanced Thermal Processing of Semiconductors, Cannizzaro, Italy, October 02-05, 2007. New York, IEEE Publ., 2007, рр. 197-202. DOI: 10.1109/RTP.2007.4383842.
9. Randriamihaja Y.M., Federspiel X., Huard V. et al. New hot carrier degradation modeling reconsidering the role of EES in ultra short N-channel MOSFETs, Proceedings of thIEEE International Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), Monterey, CA, USA, April 14-18, 2013. New York, IEEE Publ., 2013, рр. XT.1.1-XT.1.5. DOI: 10.1109/IRPS.2013.6532116.
10. Terai M., Watanabe K., Fujieda S. Effect of nitrogen profile and fluorine incorporation on negative-bias temperature instability of ultrathin plasma-nitrided SiON MOSFETs, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 2007, vol. 54, issue 7, pp. 1658-1665. DOI: 10.1109/TED.2007.899432.
11. Son Y., Baek C.-K., Han I.-S. et al. Characterization of near-interface oxide trap density in nitrided oxides for nanoscale MOSFET applications, IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, 2009, vol. 8, issue 5, pp. 654-658. DOI: 10.1109/TNANO.2008.2009760.