Hysteresis properties of PIN-PMN-PT single-crystal solid solutions
N.N. Bolshakova1, N.Yu. Druginina2, A.I. Ivanova1, D.A. Ivanov1, E.M. Semenova1
1 Tver State University
2 Military Academy of Air and Space Defense named after Marshal of the Soviet Union G. K. Zhukov
Abstract: The paper presents the results of a study of hysteresis properties based on analysis of dielectric hysteresis loops and temperature dependences of switchable polarization for solid solutions 24% Pb(In1/2Nb1/2)O3 – 49% Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)O3 – 27% PbTiO3 solutions. It follows from the experiment that at T = 293 K and strengths of the repolarizing field E = (140-301)·103 V·m-1, only partial switching of the crystal occurs. Saturated dielectric hysteresis loops of crystals are observed in a field of 271·103 V·m-1 in two temperature ranges 373-383 K and 437-440 K. The temperature dependences of the permittivity and switchable polarization have two anomalies, the first of which correspond to the region of the phase transition of the crystal from the ferroelectric rhombohedral phase to the tetragonal one. At a temperature of about 450 K, the crystal passes into the paraelectric state. Electron microscopic studies of the PIN-PMN-PT crystal structure show that various surface areas contain inhomogeneities that differ in the compositional contrast from the matrix represented by chemical elements, the main mass percentage of which is oxygen and lead. The elemental composition of heterogeneities also includes titanium.
Keywords: single crystal solid solution, hysteresis, switching processes, permittivity, phase transition
- Nataly N. Bolshakova – Ph. D., Docent, Condensed Matter Physics Department, Tver State University
- Nataly Yu. Druginina – Ph. D., Docent, Military Academy of Air and Space Defense named after Marshal of the Soviet Union G. K. Zhukov
- Alexandra I. Ivanova – Ph. D., Docent, Applied Physics Department, Tver State University
- Danila A. Ivanov – 1th year graduate student, Faculty of Physics and Technology, Tver State University
- Elena M. Semenova – Ph. D., Docent, Condensed Matter Physics Department, Tver State University
Bolshakova, N.N. Hysteresis properties of PIN-PMN-PT single-crystal solid solutions / N.N. Bolshakova, N.Yu. Druginina, A.I. Ivanova, D.A. Ivanov, E.M. Semenova // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2023. — I. 15. — P. 64-74. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2023.15.064. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. He C., Wen Y., Wen Y. et al. Optical properties of PT-based relaxor ferroelectric crystals, Crystal Research and Technology, 2023, vol. 58, issue 6, art. no. 2200197. DOI: 10.1002/crat.202200197.
2. Song K., Li Q., Guo H. et al. Composition and electrical properties characterization of a 5” diameter PINPMN-PT single crystal by the modified Bridgman method, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2021, vol. 851, art. no. 156145. 24 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2020.156145.
3. Echizenya K., Nakamura K., Mizuno K. PMN-PT and PIN-PMN-PT single crystals grown by continuousfeeding Bridgman method, Journal of Crystal Growth, 2020, vol. 531, art. no. 125364, 5 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcrysgro.2019.125364.
4. Zhou Y., Li Q., Zhuo F. et al. Domain switching and polarization fatigue in rhombohedral PIN-PMN-PT and Mn-doped PIN-PMN-PT single crystals, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 2019, vol. 102, issue 11, pp. 6668-6679. DOI: 10.1111/jace.16461.
5. Ma M., Xia S., Song K. et al. Enhanced transverse piezoelectric properties by composition and poling electric field induced phase transition in PIN–PMN–PT single crystal near morphotropic phase boundary, Journal of Applied Physics, 2021, vol. 130, issue 6, art. no. 064101. DOI: 10.1063/5.0055416.
6. Kamzina L.S., Kulakova L.A. Transformation of the physical properties of PbIn1/2Nb1/2O3-PbMg1/3Nb2/3O3-PbTiO3 crystals in an electric field, Physics of the Solid State, 2015, vol. 57, issue 11, pp. 2227-2234. DOI: 10.1134/S1063783415110177.
7. Lines M.E., Glass A.M. Principles and applications of ferroelectrics and related Materials, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2001, XIII, 680 p.
8. Jaffe B., Cook W.R., Jaffe H. Piezoelectric ceramics, London, New York, Academic Press, 1971. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-379550-2.X5001-7.
9. Kamzina L.S., Kulakova L.A., Luo H. Optical and acoustic properties of 33PbIn1/2Nb1/2O3-35PbMg1/3Nb2/3O3-32PbTiO3 single crystals in an electric field, Physics of the Solid State, 2014, vol. 56, issue 9, p. 1872-1879. DOI: 10.1134/S1063783414090157.
10. Wan Y., Li Z., Ma M. et al. Temperature and DC bias dependence of the phase transition behavior of -and -oriented PIN–PMN–PT single crystals with MPB composition, Journal of Materials Research, 2018, vol. 33, issue 23, pp. 4053-4061. DOI: 10.1557/jmr.2018.341.
11. Wan Y., Li Z., Ma M. et al. Temperature and DC bias dependences of dielectric behavior of different oriented 0.23PIN-0.52PMN-0.25PT single crystals, Journal of Electronic Materials, 2018, vol. 47, issue 7, pp. 6282–6288. DOI: 10.1007/s11664-018-6401-8.
12. Kamzina L.S., Luo H. Evolution of dielectric and optical properties in PbIn1/2Nb1/2O3-PbMg1/3Nb2/3O3-PbTiO3 single crystals in an electric field, Physics of the Solid State, 2013, vol. 55, issue 10, pp. 2071-2075. DOI: 10.1134/S1063783413100132.
13. Bogomolov A.A., Ivanov V.V. Fizika segnetoelektricheskikh yavlenij [Physics of ferroelectric phenomena], Tver, TSU Publ., 2014, 160 p. (In Russian).
14. Ivanova A.I., Grechishkin R.M., Bolshakova N.N., Belyakov V.A. Temperature observation of the evolution of the domain structure of triglycine sulphate by SEM, Journal of Surface Investigation. X-ray, Synchrotron and Neutron Techniques, 2015, vol. 9, issue 5, p. 908-912. DOI: 10.1134/S1027451015050079.
15. Bolshakova N.N., Ivanov V.V., Ivanova A.I. et al. Termoindutsirovannye protsessy pereklyucheniya monokristallov PIN-PMN-PT [Thermally induced switching in PIN-PMN-PT single crystals], Fizikokhimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2017, issue 9, pp. 114-120. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2017.9.114.
16. Yang Y., Sun E., Zheng H. et al. Scaling relations of domain reversal dynamics in rhombohedral and tetragonal PIN–PMN–PT ferroelectric single crystals, Applied Physics Letters, 2021, vol. 119, issue 18, art. no. 182902. DOI: 10.1063/5.0067955.