Features of dynamics change of properties of diffusion-hardening solder at various conditions
The Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS
Abstract: A study was conducted of the change in the hardness of diffusion-hardening solder based on a low-melting gallium alloy: gallium-tin-zinc when interacting with the Spherical copper-tin alloy powder (SCTAP5) under normal conditions (temperature 25°C) and subjected to low-temperature (125°C) heat treatment. Mechanical properties are estimated by measuring microhardness at various time intervals. A differential thermal analysis was carried out, with calculations of thermal effects. The phases formed as a result of diffusion hardening were determined by X-ray phase analysis, and the parameters of the crystal lattices of the phases were compared under different conditions of diffusion hardening. It is shown that at different processing temperatures, different phases are formed – nanoscale intermetallic compounds, and with the help of a scanning electron microscope, the phase of tin released as a result of physicochemical transformations is found. It has been experimentally proved that diffusion-hardening solder without heat treatment gains hardness slowly, and after 60 days the hardness approaches to that of the sample subjected to heating, which also continues to gain hardness very slowly. Thus, it is shown that diffusion-hardening solders after six hours of low-temperature treatment have not yet reached physico-chemical equilibrium.
Keywords: composite diffusion-hardening solders, exothermic effects, properties, microhardness, differential thermal analysis, X-ray phase analysis
- Vladimir M. Skachkov – Ph. D., Senior Researcher, Laboratory of Heterogeneous Processes, The Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS
Skachkov, V.M. Features of dynamics change of properties of diffusion-hardening solder at various conditions / V.M. Skachkov // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2022. — I. 14. — P. 699-706. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2022.14.699. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Petrunin I.E., Markova I.Y., Grzhimalskyi L.L. et al. Kratkij spravochnik payal'shchika [Brief guide of the soldering iron], ed. by I.E. Petrunin. Moscow, Mashinostroenie Publ., 1991, 224 p. (In Russian).
2. Zernitsa D.A., Shepelevich V.G. Issledovanie struktury I svoistv bessvinzovyh bistrozatverdivaiuschih splavov na osnove zinka pri termoobrabotke [Study of the structure and properties of lead-free rapidly solidified zinc-based alloys during a heat treatment], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2021, issue 13, pp. 672-681. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.672. (In Russian).
3. Yatsenko S.Р., Pasechnik L.A., Skachkov V.M., Rubinshtein G.V. Gallii: Tehnologii polucheniy I primenenie zidkih splavov [Technologies for the production and application of liquid alloys]. Moscow, RAS Publ., 2020, 344 p. (In Russian).
4. Lanin V.L., Petuhov I.N Povyshenie kachestva mikrosvarnyh soedinenyi v integralnyh shemah s ispolzovaniem ultrazvukovyh sistem povyshennoii chastoty [Improving the quality of micro-welded joints in integrated circuits using ultrasonic systems of increased frequency]. Tehnologii v elektronnoi promishlennosni [Technologies in the electronic industry], 2010, no. 1, pp. 48-50.
5. Hong S.-J., Suryanarayana C. Mechanism of low-temperature θ-CuGa2 phase formation in Cu-Ga alloys by mechanical alloying, Journal of Applied Physics, 2004, vol. 96, issue 11, pp. 6120-6126. DOI: 10.1063/1.1808243.
6. Yatsenko S.Р. Tverdeiutschaiy pasta [Hardening paste], Encyclopedia of inorganic materials. Kiev, Glavnaya redaktsiya Ukrainskoj Sovetskoj Entsiklopedii Publ., 1977, vol. 2, pp. 499-500. (In Russian).
7. Skachkov V.М. Izmenenie svoistv diffuzionno-tverdeuschego pripoya ot sostava gidkometallicheskoyi komponenty [Change in properties of diffusion-hardening solder in dependence on the composition of the liquid metal component]. Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2021. issue 13, pp. 788-794. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.788. (In Russian).
8. Poroshok splava med'-olovo sfericheskoi formy. Tekhnicheskie usloviya [Spherical copper-tin alloy powder. Specifications]. Specifications RF, no. 48-1318-03-89. Мoscow, 1989. 9 p. (In Russian).
9. Shubin A.B., Ignatieva E.V., Ignatiev I.E. Poluchenie metallicheskikh kompozitsij iz smesej med'-soderzhashchego poroshka i gallievogo rasplava: opredelenie optimal'nykh parametrov vibroobrabotki [Producing of the metallic compositions from the mixes of copper-containing powders and gallium melts: determination of optimum vibration treatment parameters], Butlerovskie soobtscheniy [Butlerov Communications], 2016, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 116-121. (In Russian).
10. Powder Diffraction File JCPDS-ICDD PDF-2 (Set 1-47). (Release, 2016). Available at: www.url:https://www.icdd.com/pdf-2 (accessed 15.05.2022).
11. Kazakov V.S. Razrabotka gallievykh past-pripoev dlya nizkotemperaturnoj pajki mednykh i titanovykh splavov s keramikoj [Development of gallium pastes-solders for low-temperature soldering of copper and titanium alloys with ceramics], Cand. tech. sci. diss. abstr.: 05.03.06. Krasnoyarsk, SFU Publ., 2007, 43 p. (In Russian).
12 Zernitsa D.A., Shepelevich V.G. Formirovanie struktury bystrozatverdevshej fol'gi evtekticheskogo splava Sn-8,8 mas.% Zn [The structure formation of rapidly solidified foil of the eutectic alloy Sn-8,8 wt.% Zn], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2020, issue 12, pp. 601-608. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2020.12.601. (In Russian).
13. Speyer R.F. Thermal Analysis of Materials. New York, Marcel Dekker Publ., 1994, 298 p.