Investigation of possibility of the misfit dislocation density reduction in Ge / Si films with a buffer layer
V.A. Lapin1,2, A.A. Kravtsov1,2, D.S. Kuleshov2, F.F. Malyavin2
1 Federal Research Center The Southern Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences
2 North-Caucasus Federal University
Abstract: The possibility of improving the quality of Ge/ Si heteroepitaxial structures with a buffer layer is investigated. It is shown that when using a preparatory layer consisting of nanostructures overgrown with a low-temperature buffer layer, it is possible to manifest the so-called effect of annihilation of the misfit dislocations in the bulk of the buffer layer Buf , which significantly improves the quality of the resulting structures. The dependence of the morphology of the surface of the pure Ge layer on the buffer on the growth time of nanostructures in the Si /Buf interface is presented. The optimal technological parameters of the growth of nanostructures for obtaining a Ge layer with a minimum roughness value are revealed. The best results were achieved when the deposition time of nanostructures was 2 min. At the same time, the minimum surface roughness value of 78 nm was achieved. It is shown that with a further increase in the size of the nanostructures, the process of annihilation of defects slows down, and the growth of the low-temperature buffer layer is replaced by a three-dimensional island growth, which increases the differences in the relief of the surface of the grown layer.
Keywords: heteroepitaxy, molecular beam epitaxy, misfit dislocations, buffer layer, defect annihilation
- Viacheslav A. Lapin – Ph. D., Senior Researcher, Laboratory of Physics and Technology of Semiconductor Nanoheterostructures for Microwave Electronics and Photonics, Federal Research Center The Southern Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Researcher of the Research Laboratory of Physicochemical Methods of Analysis, Scientific and Laboratory Complex of Clean Rooms, Physics and Technology Faculty North-Caucasus Federal University
- Aleksandr A. Kravtsov – Ph. D., Senior Researcher, Laboratory of Physics and Technology of Semiconductor Nanoheterostructures for Microwave Electronics and Photonics, Federal Research Center The Southern Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Researcher, Scientific-research Laboratory of Ceramics and Technochemistry, Scientific-laboratory Complex of Clean Rooms, Physics and Technology Faculty North Caucasus Federal University
- Dmitry S. Kuleshov – Engineer, Research Laboratory of Physicochemical Methods of Analysis, Scientific and Laboratory Complex of Clean Rooms, Physics and Technology Faculty, North-Caucasus Federal University
- Fedor F. Malyavin – Head of the Research Laboratory of High-temperature methods of synthesis, Scientific and Laboratory Complex of Clean Rooms, Physics and Technology Faculty, North-Caucasus Federal University
Lapin, V.A. Investigation of possibility of the misfit dislocation density reduction in Ge / Si films with a buffer layer / V.A. Lapin, A.A. Kravtsov, D.S. Kuleshov, F.F. Malyavin // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2021. — I. 13. — P. 263-271. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.263. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Nikiforov A.I., Timofeev V.A., Mashanov V.I., et al. Elastically stressed pseudomorphic SiSn island array formation with a pedestal on the Si(100) substrate using Sn as a growth catalyst, Journal of Crystal Growth, 2019, vol. 518, pp. 103-107. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcrysgro.2019.04.021.
2. Dolbak A.E., Zhachuk R.A. Diffusion of Ag, Sn, and Pb over atomically clean Ge(111) surface, Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics, 2019, Vol 129, issue 3, pp. 391-396. DOI: 10.1134%2FS1063776119080028.
3. Hui H.Y.,. de la Mata M., Arbiol J., Filler M.A. Low-temperature growth of axial Si /Ge nanowire heterostructures enabled by trisilane, Chemistry of Materials, 2017, vol. 29, issue 8, pp. 3397-3402. DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemmater.6b03952.
4. Lunin L.S., Bavizhev M.D., Sysoev I.A., et al. Vliyanie kharaktera izmeneniya temperatury podlozhki v protsesse rosta na topologiyu poverkhnosti plenki Ge / Si(100) [The influence of the substrate temperature change character during the growth on the topology of the Ge /Si(100) film surface], Vestnik Rossiiskogo universiteta druzhby narodov. Seriya: inzhenernye issledovaniya [RUDN Journal of Engineering Researches], 2012, no. 3, pp. 98-103. (in Russian).
5. Lunin L.S., Sysoev I.A., Bavizhev M.D., et al. Dependence of the surface topology and Raman scattering spectra of GexSi1-x/Si films on the composition variation over the layer thickness, Crystallography reports, 2013, vol. 58, issue 3, pp. 509-512. DOI: 10.1134/S1063774513030127.
6. Lapin V.A., Sinel'nikov B.M., Bavizhev M.D., et al. Investigation of the peculiarities of Ge island growth on Si(100) under MBE conditions, Journal of surface investigation: X-ray, synchrotron and neutron techniques, 2013, vol. 7, issue 3. – P. 493-496. DOI: 10.1134/S1027451013030075.
7. Kasper E., Lyutovich K., Bauer M., Oehme M. New virtual substrate concept for vertical MOS transistors, Thin Solid Films, 1998, vol. 336, issue 1-2, pp. 319-322. DOI: 10.1016/S0040-6090(98)01317-0.
8. Bolhovityanov Yu.B., Deryabin A.S., Gutakovskii A.K. et al. Origination of misfit dislocations at the surface during the growth of GeSi /Si(001) films by low-temperature ( 300—400 °C) molecular-beam epitaxy, Semiconductors, 2006, vol. 40, issue 3, pp. 319-326. DOI: 10.1134/S1063782606030122.
9. Avrutin V.S., Agafonov Yu.A., Vyatkinet A.F. al. Low-temperature strain relaxation in SiGe /Si heterostructures irradiated with Ge+ ions, Semiconductors, 2004, vol. 38, issue 3, pp. 313-1318. DOI: 10.1134/1.1682335.
10. Savano K., Fukumoto A., Hoshi Y., et al. Fabrication of high quality SiGe relaxed thin layers by ion implantation technique with Ar, Si and Ge ions, Thin Solid Films, 2008, vol. 517, issue 1, pp. 87-89. DOI: 10.1016/j.tsf.2008.08.109.
11. Bolkhovityanov Yu.B., Deryabin A.S., Gutakovskii A.K., Sokolov L.V. Mechanism of induced nucleation of misfit dislocation in the Ge -on- Si(001) system and its role in the formation of the core structure of edge misfit dislocations, Acta Materialia, 2013, vol. 61, issue 2, pp. 617-621. DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2012.09.082.