Electronic microscopy of the surface of SCMnCr3 steel after electric spark treatment with a tungsten electrodeanode
N.A. Pan'kin, V.P. Mishkin
National Research N.P. Ogarev Mordovia State University
Abstract: The method of scanning electron microscopy was used to study the surface morphology of steel SCMnCr3 after its electrospark treatment with a tungsten (without additives) anode electrode. The following structural elements have been identified: bulges, spherical and disk-shaped inclusions, cracks, pores and particles of irregular shape. Their appearance is due to high temperatures in the interelectrode gap (higher than the corresponding melting temperatures of the main electrode materials) and the non-equilibrium of the processes occurring in it. During the formation of pores, the main mechanism is the release of gases during cooling of the electrode materials in the liquid phase. Macrostresses arising from an electric spark discharge in the surface layers of the electrodes, which exceed the mechanical properties of the electrode materials, lead to the ejection of irregularly shaped solid particles into the interelectrode gap and the appearance of cracks. The appearance of sagging, round/oval inclusions, and spherical particles is associated with the interaction of the liquid phase from the interelectrode gap with the cathode surface.
Keywords: steel, tungsten, electrospark processing, morphology, electron microscopy
- Nikolay A. Pan'kin – Ph. D., Docent, Department of Solid State Physics, National Research N.P. Ogarev Mordovia State University
- Vladimir P. Mishkin – Senior Researcher, Department of General Physics, National Research N.P. Ogarev Mordovia State University
Pan'kin, N.A. Electronic microscopy of the surface of SCMnCr3 steel after electric spark treatment with a tungsten electrodeanode / N.A. Pan'kin, V.P. Mishkin // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2023. — I. 15. — P. 807-813. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2023.15.807. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Korotaev D.N., Ivanova E.V. Optimizatsiya rezhimov uprochneniya i ekspluatatsii stal'nykh poverkhnostej treniya posle elektroiskrovogo legirovaniya [Optimization of modes of hardening and operation of steel surfaces of friction after electro-spark modifying], Uprochnyayushchie tekhnologii i pokrytiya [Hardening Technologies and coatings], 2009, no. 1 (49), pp. 39-42. (In Russian).
2. Ovcharenko P.G., Leshchev A.Yu., Tarasov V.V., Trifonov I.S. Sravnitel'naya kharakteristika iznosostojkosti poverkhnostnykh sloev, poluchennykh elektroiskrovym legirovaniem [Comparative analysis of wear resistance of surface layers obtained by spark-alloying], Uprochnyayushchie tekhnologii i pokrytiya [Hardening Technologies and coatings], 2018, no. 1 (157), pp. 27-29. (In Russian).
3. Loginov N.Yu. Issledovanie tribologicheskikh kharakteristik obraztsov s pokrytiem, nanesennym elektroiskrovym metodom [Study of tribological characteristics of samples with the coating made by the electricspark method], Uprochnyayushchie tekhnologii i pokrytiya [Hardening Technologies and coatings], 2017, no. 2 (146), pp. 67 - 70. (In Russian).
4. Verkhoturov A.D. Fiziko-khimicheskie osnovy protsessa ehlektroiskrovogo legirovaniya [Physico-chemical foundations of the electrospark alloying process], Vladivostok, Dal'nauka Publ., 1992. 180 p. (In Russian).
5. Yurchenko E.V., Yurchenko O.E. Novye elektrody dlya polucheniya nanostrukturirovannykh pokrytij na alyuminievykh detalyakh metodom elektroiskrovogo legirovaniya [New electrodes for producing nanostructured coatings on aluminum parts using electrospark doping], Uprochnyayushchie tekhnologii i pokrytiya [Hardening Technologies and coatings], 2021, vol. 17, no. 12 (204), pp. 574-576. DOI: 10.36652/1813-1336-2021-17-12-574-576. (In Russian).
6. Elektrody vol'framovye svarochnye neplavyashchiesya. Tekhnicheskie usloviya: GOST 23949-80 [Electrodes tungsten welding nonconsumable. Specifications: State Standard 23949-80]. Moscow, Standartinform Publ., 2004, 8 p. (In Russian).
7. Pan'kin N.A., Ilyin S.V. Opticheskaya spektroskopiya mezhelektrodnogo promezhutka elektroiskrovoj obrabotke stali vol'framom i olovyannoj bronzoj [Optical spectroscopy of the interelectrode gap in the electrospark machining of steel with tungsten and tin bronze], Prikladnaya fizika [Applied Physics], 2023, no. 4, pp. 100-106. DOI: 10.51368/1996-0948-2023-4-100-106. (In Russian).
8. Enders V.V. Azot v staleplavil'nykh protsessakh [Nitrogen in steel-making], Litiyo i metallurgiya (Foundry Production and Metallurgy), 2002, no. 1, pp. 95-100. DOI: 10.21122/1683-6065-2002-1-95-100. (In Russian).
9. Bazaleeva K.O. Mechanisms of the influence of nitrogen on the structure and properties of steels (a review), Metal Science and Heat Treatment, 2005, vol. 47, issue 9-10, pp. 455-461. DOI: 10.1007/s11041-006-0010-5.
10. Paustovskii, A.V., Gubin Y.V. Stresses in coatings obtained by electro-spark alloying and laser processing (review), Materials Science, 1997, vol. 33, issue 6, pp. 770-776. DOI: 10.1007/BF02355555.
11. Mehta M.G., Patel N.K. Temperature and thermal stress analysis of electrical discharge machining - a review, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology. 2014, vol. 3, issue 1, pp. P. 1691-1697.