Lubricant properties of nanodisperse magnetic oils based on novel technical liquids
A.N. Bolotov, L.E. Afanasieva, V.V. Meshkov
Tver State Technical University
Abstract: The paper presents the results of studying properties of magnetic lubricating oils synthesized based on fluoroorganic fluids and triethanol. The lubricating properties of oils were determined in the boundary friction mode under medium and high contact pressures. It is shown that magnetic oils based on perfluoropolyether have higher lubricating properties than oils based on other fluids, especially in the medium load range. The anti-wear properties and aggregative stability of oil begin to deteriorate sharply at temperatures exceeding 150°С. The use of perfluoropolyether liquid as an additive to oil made it possible to improve the antiwear properties of magnetic oil at medium and high contact pressures. The lubricating properties of magnetic oils based on triethanolamine are approximately the same as those of magnetic oils based on siloxanes, but worse than those of traditional non-magnetic oils. In terms of tribological properties, the studied magnetic oils are comparable to traditional plastic and liquid lubricants. The fact that magnetic oils have magnetic properties that are anomalous for liquids expands the area of their effective application significantly.
Keywords: magnetic lubricating oil, fluoroorganic liquids, triethanolamine, nanodisperse particles, friction, wear
- Alexander N. Bolotov – Dr. Sc., Professor, Head of the Applied Physics Department, Tver State Technical University
- Ludmila E. Afanasieva – Ph. D., Docent, Docent of the Metal Technology and Materials Science Department, Tver State Technical University
- Vladimir V. Meshkov – Dr. Sc., Professor, Head of the Mechanical Engineering Faculty, Tver State Technical University
Bolotov, A.N. Lubricant properties of nanodisperse magnetic oils based on novel technical liquids / A.N. Bolotov, L.E. Afanasieva, V.V. Meshkov // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2023. — I. 15. — P. ___-___. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2023.15.XXX. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Orlov D.V., Mikhalev Yu.O., Myshkin N.K. Magnitnye zhidkosti v mashinostroenii [Magnetic fluids in mechanical engineering]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie Publ., 1993, 272 p. (In Russian).
2. Bolotov A.N., Izmailov V.V., Novoselova M.V. Teoreticheskie i eksperimental'nye issledovaniya protsessov v tribotekhnicheskikh sistemakh: monografiya [Theoretical and experimental studies of processes in tribological systems]. Tver, Tverskoy gosudarstvenny tekhnicheskiy universitet Publ., 2019, 164 p. (In Russian).
3. Miszczak A. Tribologicheskie svojstva ferrozhidkosti [Tribological behavior of ferro-fluid], Trenie i iznos [Journal of Friction and Wear], 2006, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 330-336. (In Russian).
4. Bolotov A.N., Lochagin N.V., Mikhalev Yu.O. Role of magnetic field in friction of surfaces lubricated by magnetic oil, Soviet Journal of Friction and Wear, 1988, vol. 9, issue 5, pp. 80-86.
5. Fertman V.E. Magnitnye zhidkosti: spravochnoe posobie [Magnetic fluids]. Minsk, Higher School. Publ., 1988, 184 p. (In Russian).
6. Ermakov S.F. Effect of lubricants and additives on the tribological performance of solids. Part 2. active friction control, Journal of Friction and Wear, 2012, vol. 33, issue 3, pp. 217-223. DOI: 10.3103/S106836661203004X.
7. Gorlenko A.O., Shetz S.P. Investigation of physical properties of magnetic liquids in alternating and constant magnetic fields, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2018, vol. 327, issue 4, art. no. 042039, 5 p. DOI: 10.1088/1757-899X/327/4/042039.
8. Lineira del Rio J.M., López E.R., Gómez M.G. et al. Tribological behavior of nanolubricants based on coated magnetic nanoparticles and trimethylolpropane trioleate base oil, Nanomaterials, 2020, vol. 10, issue 4, art. no. 683, 22 p. DOI: 10.3390/nano10040683.
9. Trivedi K. Analyzing lubrication properties of magnetic lubricant synthesized in two lubricating oils, Wear, 2021, vol. 477, art. no. 203861, 11 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.wear.2021.203861.
10. Bolotov A.N., Khrenov V.L. Tribotekhnika magnitopassivnykh opor skol'zheniya: monografiya [Tribotechnics of magneto-passive sliding bearings]. Tver, Tver State Technical University Publ., 2008, 124 p. (In Russian).
11. Bolotov A.N., Novikov V.V., Novikova O.O. Studying tribotechnical properties of nanostructured lubricating oils with various dispersive media, Journal of Friction and Wear, 2017, vol. 38, issue 2, pp. 121-125. DOI: 10.3103/S1068366617020040.
12. Mel'nikov V.G., Popkova T.V., Kapustina L.B., Dibrova M.V. Perftorpoliefiry kak osnova smazochnykh materialov [Perfluoropolyethers as a basis for lubricants], Khimiya i tekhnologiya topliv i masel [Chemistry and Technology of Fuels and Oils], 1990, no. 4, pp. 36-38. (In Russian).
13. Kalinin A.A., Mel'nikov V.G. Lubricating properties of water-containing fluids based on triethanolamine, Chemistry and Technology of Fuels and Oils, 1988, vol. 24, issue 7, pp. 294-297. DOI: 10.1007/BF00725549.
14. Silaev V.A., Boikova E.N. Sposob polucheniya magnitnoy zhidkosti na ftororganicheskoy osnove [The method of obtaining a magnetic fluid on an organofluorine basis]. Patent RF, no. 2023317, 1991. (In Russian).
15. Bajburtskij F.S. Magnitnye zhidkosti: sposoby polucheniya i oblasti primeneniya [Magnetic fluids: production methods and applications]. Available at: www.url: http://magneticliquid.narod.ru/autority/008.htm (accessed 22.01.2023).
16. Bolotov A.N., Novikov V.V., Novikova O.O., Mardyan M.V. Komplekt oborudovaniya dlya issledovaniya fiziko-khimicheskikh svojstv nanodispersnykh magnitnykh sred. Chast 1 [A set of equipment for studying the physicochemical properties of nanodispersed magnetic media. Part 1], Mekhanika i fizika protsessov na poverkhnosti i v kontakte tverdykh tel, detalej tekhnologicheskogo i energeticheskogo oborudovaniya [Mechanics and physics of processes on the surface and in contact with solids, parts of technological and power equipment]. 2013, no. 6, pp. 68-74. (In Russian).
17. Bolotov A.N., Novikov V.V., Novikova O.O., Gorlov D.I. Komplekt oborudovaniya dlya issledovaniya fiziko-khimicheskikh svojstv nanodispersnykh magnitnykh sred. Chast 2 [A set of equipment for studying the physicochemical properties of nanodispersed magnetic media. Part 2], Mekhanika i fizika protsessov na poverkhnosti i v kontakte tverdykh tel, detalej tekhnologicheskogo i energeticheskogo oborudovaniya [Mechanics and physics of processes on the surface and in contact with solids, parts of technological and power equipment], 2014, no. 7, pp. 85-89. (In Russian).
18. Bolotov A.N., Novikova O.O. Vliyanie nanodispersnoj fazy magnitnykh masel na ikh smazochnye svojstva [The effect of the nanodisperse phase of magnetic oils on their lubricating properties], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2022, issue 14, pp. 545-560. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2022.14.545. (In Russian).