Zinc stannate nanostructures for fast response gas sensors
Z.V. Shomakhov1, S.S. Nalimova2, B.Z. Shurdumov1, A.I. Maximov2, V.A. Moshnikov2
1 Kabardino- Balkarian State University
2 Saint Petersburg Electrotechnical University «LETI»
Abstract: The possibilities of using zinc stannate nanostructures as sensitive elements of fast response gas sensors are considered, which are of great interest for use in a variety of applications from the detection of toxic substances to air quality monitoring or medical diagnostics. The synthesis of zinc stannate nanostructures was carried out by hydrothermal treatment of zinc stannate nanorods in a solution of potassium stannate and urea at different concentrations of precursors. The chemical composition of the sample surface was analyzed by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. It is shown that as a result of hydrothermal treatment, Sn4+ ions appear on the surface of zinc oxide nanorods. The study of gas-sensitive characteristics was carried out under the influence of isopropyl alcohol vapors at temperatures of 156°C and 310°C. It is shown that the maximum response at 310°C to 1000 ppm of isopropyl alcohol is 8,24. At the same time, the zinc stannate samples have a fast response of 23 s.
- Zamir V. Shomakhov – Ph. D., Docent, Electronics and Information Technologies Department, Kabardino- Balkarian State University
- Svetlana S. Nalimova – Ph. D., Docent, Micro- and Nanoelectronics Department, Saint Petersburg Electrotechnical University «LETI»
- Beslan Z. Shurdumov – 2nd year student, Institute of Informatics, Electronics and Robotics, Kabardino- Balkarian State University
- Aleksandr I. Maximov – Ph. D., Docent of Micro- and Nanoelectronics Department, Saint Petersburg Electrotechnical University «LETI»
- Vyacheslav A. Moshnikov – Dr. Sc., Professor, Micro- and Nanoelectronics Department, Saint Petersburg Electrotechnical University «LETI»
Shomakhov, Z.V. Zinc stannate nanostructures for fast response gas sensors / Z.V. Shomakhov, S.S. Nalimova, B.Z. Shurdumov, A.I. Maximov, V.A. Moshnikov // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2022. — I. 14. — P. 726-735. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2022.14.726. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Dey A. Semiconductor metal oxide gas sensors: a review, Materials Science and Engineering B, 2018, vol. 229, pp. 206-217. DOI: 10.1016/j.mseb.2017.12.036.
2. Saleh T.A., Fadillah G. Recent trends in the design of chemical sensors based on graphene–metal oxide nanocomposites for the analysis of toxic species and biomolecules, TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 2019, vol. 120, art. no. 115660. DOI: 10.1016/j.trac.2019.115660.
3. Amiri V., Roshan H., Mirzaei A., Neri G., Ayesh A.I. Nanostructured metal oxide-based acetone gas sensors: a review, Sensors, 2020, vol. 20, issue 11, art. no. 3096, 25 p. DOI: 10.3390/s20113096.
4. Kumbhakar P., Gowda C.C., Mahapatra P.L. et al. Emerging 2D metal oxides and their applications, Materials Today, 2021, vol.. 45, pp. 142-168. DOI: 10.1016/j.mattod.2020.11.023.
5. Nalimova S.S., Moshnikov V.A., Myakin S.V. Controlling surface functional composition and improving the gas-sensing properties of metal oxide sensors by electron beam processing, Glass Physics and Chemistry, 2016, vol. 42, issue 6, pp. 597-601. DOI: 10.1134/S1087659616060171.
6. Bobkov A., Moshnikov V., Varezhnikov A. et al. The multisensor array based on grown-on-chip zinc oxide nanorod network for selective discrimination of alcohol vapors at sub-ppm range, Sensors, 2019, vol. 19, issue19, art. № 4265, 13 p. DOI: 10.3390/s19194265
7. Tian X., Cui X., Lai T. et al. Gas sensors based on TiO2 nanostructured materials for the detection of hazardous gases: a review, Nano Materials Science, 2021, vol. 3, issue4, pp. 390-403. DOI: 10.1016/j.nanoms.2021.05.011.
8. Morais P.V., Suman P.H., Silva R.A., Orlandi M.O. High gas sensor performance of WO3 nanofibers prepared by electrospinning, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2021, vol. 864, art. № 158745, 8 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2021.158745.
9. Nalimova S.S., Maksimov A.I., Matyushkin L.B., Moshnikov V.A. Current state of studies on synthesis and application of zinc stannate (review), Glass Physics and Chemistry, 2019, vol. 45, issue 4, pp. 251-260. DOI: 10.1134/S1087659619040096.
10. Hung C.M., Phuong H.V., Duy N.V., Hoa N.D., Hieu N.V. Comparative effects of synthesis parameters on the NO2 gas-sensing performance of on-chip grown ZnO and Zn2SnO4 nanowire sensors, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2018, vol. 765, pp. 1237-1242. DOI: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2018.06.184.
11. Shomakhov Z.V., Nalimova S.S., Bobkov A.A., Moshnikov V.A. Rentgenovskaya fotoelektronnaya spektroskopiya poverkhnostnykh sloev ogranennykh nanosterzhnej oksida tsinka [X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy of Surface Layers of Faceted Zinc Oxide Nanorods], Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenij. Elektronika [Journal «Proceedings of Universities. Electronics»], 2021, vol. 26, issue 6, pp. 481-490. DOI: 10.24151/1561-5405-2021-26-6-481-490. (In Russian).
12. Nalimova S.S., Shomakhov Z.V., Punegova K.N., Ryabko A.А., Maximov A.I. Sintez i issledovanie gazochuvstvitel'nykh nanostruktur sistemy Zn-Sn-O [Synthesis and study of gas-sensitive nanostructures of the Zn–Sn–O system], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2021, issue 13, pp. 910-918. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.910. (In Russian).
13. Shomakhov Z.V., Nalimova S.S., Kalmykov R.M., Aubekerov K., Moshnikov V.А. Issledovanie mikrostruktury i sostava modifitsirovannykh nanochastitsami serebra sloev dioksida olova [Study of the microstructure and composition of tin dioxide layers modified by silver nanoparticles], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2021, issue 13, pp. 447-456. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.447. (In Russian).
14. Shankar P., Bosco J., Rayappan B. Gas sensing mechanism of metal oxides: The role of ambient atmosphere, type of semiconductor and gases – a review, Science Letters Journal, 2015, vol. 4, art. no. 126, 18 p.
15. Karpova S.S., Moshnikov V.A., Maksimov A.I., Mjakin S.V., Kazantseva N.E. Study of the effect of the acid-base surface properties of ZnO, Fe2O3 and ZnFe2O4 oxides on their gas sensitivity to ethanol vapor, Semiconductors, 2013, vol. 47, issue8, pp. 1026-1030. DOI: 10.1134/S1063782613080095.