Development of tetraethoxysilane-based polymer absorbing coating with an adding of the cobalt oxide for a laser surgery
E.M. Sokolova, A.S. Boiko, M.I. Fokina, A.A. Ponomareva
Abstract: The use of generated jets as «micro incisors» finds its application in laser surgery. Such methods of laser exposure are used to remove neoplasms, such as intervertebral hernias and cysts. An optical fiber is attached to the laser, which is inserted into the hernia or cyst through a puncture needle. To increase the efficiency of laser exposure, it is necessary to accumulate energy at the end of the waveguide by forming an absorbing coating, which should have high adhesion to quartz. In this work, a study was carried out on the development of a technique for polymer films by the sol-gel method for use in laser surgery as an absorbing coating. Tetraethoxysilane was chosen as a precursor for the formation of a polysilicate mesh holding small cobalt oxide particles. Optical, morphological, and absorbing properties of coatings obtained onto quartz glasses were studied in this work. Additionally, the solutions and the obtained coatings were studied using IR spectroscopy, the results of which showed the absence of a qualitative change in the sols during long-term storage (up to 3 weeks) and the formation of a three-dimensional silicate network and cobalt oxide in the films. The study of the surface morphology of the obtained coatings showed that high concentrations of cobalt salts are not required for the uniform distribution of the synthesized cobalt oxide. The absorbing properties of the samples were tested using an IR laser and a thermal imager. Owing to the research the optimal composition of the coating for the deposition on quartz waveguides was chosen.
Keywords: tetraethoxysilane, cobalt oxide, quartz, sol-gel technology, IR spectroscopy, laser radiation, absorbing coating
- Evgeniia M. Sokolova – 1st year master’s student, Center for Chemical Engineering, ITMO University
- Anastasia S. Boiko – 4th year bachelor’s student, Center for Chemical Engineering, ITMO University
- Maria I. Fokina – Ph. D., Docent, Center for Chemical Engineering, ITMO University
- Alina A. Ponomareva – Ph. D., Docent, Center for Chemical Engineering, ITMO University
Sokolova, E.M. Development of tetraethoxysilane-based polymer absorbing coating with an adding of the cobalt oxide for a laser surgery / E.M. Sokolova, A.S. Boiko, M.I. Fokina, A.A. Ponomareva // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2022. — I. 14. — P. 717-725. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2022.14.717. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Chudnovskiy V.M., Bulanov V.A., Yusupov V.I. et al. Eksperimental'noe obosnovanie lazernogo punktsionnogo lecheniya osteokhondroza pozvonochnika [Experimental backgrounding for laser puncture treatment of spinal osteochondrosis], Lasernaya Meditsina [Laser Medicine], 2010, vol. 14, issue 1, pp. 30-35. (In Russian).
2. Gafurov S.J., Kattahonov Sh.M., Holmonov M.M. Osobennosti primeneniya lazerov v meditsine [Features of the application of lasers in medicine], European science, 2019, no. 3 (45), pp. 92-95. (In Russian).
3. Chudnovskiy V. M., Yusupov V.I., Dydykin A.V. at al. Laser-induced boiling of biological liquids in medical technologies, Quantum electronics, 2017, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 361-370. DOI: 10.1070/QEL16298.
4. Chudnovskii V.M., Yusupov V.I. Submerged jet generation by laser heating of a liquid surface, Technical Physics Letters, 2022, vol. 46, issue10, pp. 1024-1027. DOI: 10.1134/S1063785020100211.
5. Morer R., Bar S.N., Khinrikhs E. et al. Pokrytie dlya khirurgicheskikh igl i sposoby ikh naneseniya [Surgical needle coatings and methods for coating deposition], Patent RF, no. 24649557, 2018. (In Russian).
6. Maksimov A.I., Moshnikov V.A., Tairov Yu.M. et al. Osnovy zol'-gel'-tekhnologii nanokompozitov [Fundamentals of sol-gel nanocomposite technology]. Saint Petersburg, «Elmor» Publ., 2008, 255 p. (In Russian).
7. Shilova O.A. ‘Spin-on-glass’ films for semiconductor technology, Surface Coatings International Part B: Coatings Transactions, 2003, vol. 86, issue 3, pp. 195-202. DOI: 10.1007/BF02699653.
8. Shilova О.A., Hashkovsky S.V., Kuznetsova L.A. Sol-gel preparation of ceramic coatings for electrical, laser, space engineering and power, Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, 2003, vol. 26, issue 1-3, pp. 687-691. DOI: 10.1023/A:1020725500032.
9. Park J.H., Choi J.Y., Park T. et al. Structure modulation of silica microspheres in bio‐inspired silicification: effects of TEOS concentration, Chemistry – An Asian Journal, 2011, vol. 6, issue 8, pp. 1939-1942. DOI: 10.1002/asia.201100265.
10. Khimich N.N., Berdichevskii G.M., Poddenezhnyi E.N. et al. Sol-gel synthesis of an optical silica glass doped with rare-earth elements, Glass Physics and Chemistry, 2007, vol. 33, issue 2, pp. 152-155. DOI: 10.1134/S1087659607020095.
11. Bochkareva S.S. Sintez gibridnykh kompozitov zol'-gel' metodom [Synthesis of hybrid composites by sol-gel method], Izvestiya Vuzov. Prikladnaya Khimiya i Biotekhnologiya [University Proceedings. Applied Chemistry and Biotechnology], 2016, vol. 6, no. 3 (18), pp. 81-93. DOI: 10.21285/2227-2925-2016-6-3-81-93. (In Russian).
12. Colleoni C., Esposito S., Grasso R. et al. Delayed luminescence induced by complex domains in water and in TEOS aqueous solutions, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2016, vol. 18, issue 2, pp. 772-780. DOI: 10.1039/c5cp03420e.
13. Telesh E.V., Kasinskii N.K. Formirovanie opticheskikh pokrytij pryamym osazhdeniem iz ionnykh puchkov [Formation of optical coatings by direct deposition from ion beams], Kontenant [Contenant], 2014, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 27-30. (In Russian).
14. Stoia M., Stefanescu M., Dippong Th. et al. Low temperature synthesis of Co2SiO4/SiO2 nanocomposite using a modified sol–gel method, Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, 2010, vol. 54, issue 1, pp. 49-56. DOI: 10.1007/s10971-010-2156-2.
15. Murashkevich A.N., Lavitskaya A.S., Barannikova T.I., Zharskii I.M. Infrared absorption spectra and structure OF TiO2-SiO2 composites, Journal of Applied Spectroscopy, 2008, vol. 75, issue 5, pp. 730-734. DOI: 10.1007/s10812-008-9097-3.
16. Nakamoto K. Infrared and Raman spectra of inorganic and coordination compounds, 4th ed. New York, Chichester, Brisbane, Toronto, Singapore, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1986, 484 p.
17. Greenwood N.N., Earnshow A. Chemistry of the Elements, 2nd ed. Amsterdam, Butterworth-Heinemann, 1997, 1394 p. DOI: 10.1016/C2009-0-30414-6.
18. Al-Oweini R., El-Rassy H. Synthesis and characterization by FTIR spectroscopy of silica aerogels prepared using several Si (OR) 4 and R′′ Si (OR′) 3 precursors, Journal of Molecular Structure, 2009, vol. 919, issue. 1-3, pp. 140-145. DOI: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2008.08.025.