Influence of vacuum-plasma treatment modes on the surface photo-EMF of single-crystal silicon
R.R. Nagaplezheva, M.M. Orakova, M.Yu.. Kushkhova, F.M. Tseeva, H.A. Mishaev
Kabardino-Balkarian State University named after HM. Berbekov
Abstract: Plasma technologies in the last quarter of the twentieth century made a real scientific and technological revolution in microelectronics. Having come to the world of microelectronics technology as a necessary alternative to liquid etching, which had exhausted its resource by that time, plasma or «dry» technologies became the main tool for creating elements of electronic products. The 21st century, undoubtedly, began and proceeds under the sign of the improvement of such technologies in solid-state electronics. Plasma technologies include a set of methods for depositing thin and ultrathin layers on a semiconductor substrate, as well as a set of methods for dimensional etching of such layers with specified etching parameters. If we consider the methods of size etching using dry technologies, it should always be taken into account that the whole range of such methods is wide. Some methods, such as radical and plasma-chemical etching, imply a mild, purely chemical interaction of the plasma medium with the substrate material, resulting in the formation of a volatile etch product and its removal (pumping) from the plasma volume. Another group of «dry» methods includes methods of purely physical impact of high-energy plasma particles on the surface of the material and the removal of atoms from the surface only as a result of sputtering of the material. The surface photo-EMF method was used to study the real surface of single-crystal p-type silicon in the temperature range T = 289-473 K before and after plasma treatment. A significant difference was found in the surface electronic states spectra obtained by heating and cooling the samples. Heating leads to desorption of gases and dissociation of water molecules in the surface layer, which reduces the surface potential by an order of magnitude.
Keywords: plasma, photo-EMF, plasma surface treatment, silicon, surface electronic states
- Ruzanna R. Nagaplezheva – Deputy Director for Academic Affairs and Quality of Education, Senior Lecturer, Electronics and Digital Information Technologies Departmen, Kabardino-Balkarian State University named after HM. Berbekov
- Mariam M. Orakova – Senior Lecturer, Electronics and Digital Information Technologies Department, Kabardino-Balkarian State University named after HM. Berbekov
- Marianna Yu.. Kushkhova – Software Engineer, Electronic and Distance Learning Technologies of the Department of Educational Policy Department; Assistant, Department of Information Technology in the Management of Technical Systems, Kabardino-Balkarian State University named after HM. Berbekov
- Fatimat M. Tseeva – Ph. D., Senior Lecturer, Theoretical and Experimental Physics Department, Kabardino-Balkarian State University named after HM. Berbekov
- Huseyn A. Mishaev – 1st year student, radio engineering speciality, Kabardino-Balkarian State University named after HM. Berbekov
Nagaplezheva, R.R. Influence of vacuum-plasma treatment modes on the surface photo-EMF of single-crystal silicon / R.R. Nagaplezheva, M.M. Orakova, M.Yu.. Kushkhova, F.M. Tseeva, H.A. Mishaev // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2022. — I. 14. — P. 671-677. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2022.14.671. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Danilin B.S., Kireyev V.Yu., Syrchin V.K. Energeticheskaya effektivnost' protsessa ionnogo raspyleniya materialov i sistem dlya ego realizatsii [Energy efficiency of the process of ion sputtering of materials and systems for its implementation], Fizika i khimiya obrabotki materialov [Physics and Chemistry of Materials Treatment], 1979, no. 2, pp. 52-56. (In Russian).
2.Vetoshkin V.M. Eksperimental'naya ustanovka dlya issledovaniya vakuumnoplazmennykh protsessov obrabotki kvartsa [Experimental setup for the study of vacuum-plasma processing of quartz], Cand. tech. sci. diss. Izhevsk, Udmurtskiy gosudarstvennyy universitet Publ., 2009, 142 p. (In Russian).
3. Properties of porous silicon, ed. by L. Canham, Tokyo, The Institution of Electrical Engineers of Japan, 2007, 424 p.
4. Bisi O., Ossicini S., Pavesi L. Porous silicon: A quantum sponge structure for silicon based optoelectronics, Surface Science Reports, 2000, vol. 38, issue 1-3, pp. 1-126. DOI: 10.1016/S0167-5729(99)00012-6.
5. Silicon nanocrystals. Fundamentals, synthesis and applications, ed. by L. Pavesi, R. Turan. Weinheim, Wiley-VCH, 2010, 648 p.
6. de Stefano L., Arcari P., Lamberti A. et al. DNA optical detection based on porous silicon technology: from biosensors to biochips, Sensors, 2007, vol. 7, issue 2, pp. 214-221.
7. Kilian K.A., Bocking T., Lai L.M.H. et al. Organic modification of mesoporous silicon rugate filters: The influence of nanoarchitecture on optical behavior, International Journal of Nanotechnology, 2008, vol. 5, no. 2/3, pp. 170-178. DOI: 10.1504/IJNT.2008.016914.
8. Vashpanov Yu., Jung J.I., Kwack K.D. Photo-EMF sensitivity of porous silicon thin layer–crystalline silicon heterojunction to ammonia adsorption, Sensors, 2011, vol. 11, issue 2, pp. 1321-1327. DOI: 10.3390/s110201321.
9. Wang Y., Park S., Yeow J.T.W., Langner A., Müller F. A capacitive humidity sensor based on ordered macroporous silicon with thin film surface coating, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2010, vol. 149, issue 1, pp. 136-142. DOI: 10.1016/j.snb.2010.06.010.
10. Lyuev V.K., Lyuev I.V. Vliyanie khimicheskoj obrabotki i temperatury na poverkhnostnyj potentsial monokristallicheskogo kremniya KDB-10 (111) [Effect of chemical treatment and temperature on the surface potential of KDB-10 (111) single-crystal silicon], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2015, issue 7, pp. 354-357. (In Russian).
11. Lyuev V.K., Lyuev I.V. Temperaturnaya zavisimost' poverkhnostnoj foto-EDS monokristallicheskogo kremniya p-tipa [The temperature dependence of the surface potential of p-type monocrystalline silicon], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2015, issue 7, pp. 350-353. (In Russian).