Effect of modifiers on the barium niobate-calcium ceramics structure
O.S. Guseva1, O.V. Malyshkina2, A.S. Mitchenko2
1 Tver State Medical University
2 Tver State University
Abstract: In this work, the ceramic samples Са0,3Ba0,7Nb2O6 pure and with modifying additives (5%) SrTiO3, KTaO3 or LiTaO3 were obtained by solid-phase synthesis. All studied compositions of ceramics revealed the presence of large and small grains. It is shown that the addition of LiTaO3 to the composition of Са0,3Ba0,7Nb2O6 ceramics reduces the grain size by an order of magnitude, while the addition of SrTiO3 leads to an elongation of the grain shape. Based on the analysis of the elemental composition, it was found that the introduction of modifiers into the composition of Са0,3Ba0,7Nb2O6 reduces the excess of oxygen in the structure of tetragonal tungsten bronze, compared to unmodified Са0,3Ba0,7Nb2O6 ceramics. The maximum on the temperature dependence of the permittivity is practically independent of the type of modifier and is located in the range of 279-285°C. This is 60 degrees higher than the Curie temperature of the Са0,3Ba0,7Nb2O6 single crystal. Regardless of the measurement temperature, Са0,3Ba0,7Nb2O6 + 5%SrTiO3 material has the maximum value of the permittivity. Whereas the minimum value of the permittivity at room temperature has the Са0,3Ba0,7Nb2O6 + 5%LiTaO3 sample, and at the Curie point, the Са0,3Ba0,7Nb2O6 sample.
Keywords: piezoelectric ceramics, barium-calcium niobate, lead-free materials, modifiers, grain structure, permittivity
- Olga S. Guseva – Senior Lecturer, Medical Biophysics Department, Tver State Medical University
- Olga V. Malyshkina – Dr. Sc., Full Professor, Professor, Department of Computer Security and Mathematical Control Methods, Tver State University
- Artem S. Mitchenko – 1st year master's student, Tver State University
Guseva, O.S. Effect of modifiers on the barium niobate-calcium ceramics structure / O.S. Guseva, O.V. Malyshkina, A.S. Mitchenko // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2022. — I. 14. — P. 572-582. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2022.14.572. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Rödel, J., Webber K.G., Dittmer R. et al. Transferring lead-free piezoelectric ceramics into application, Journal of the European
Ceramic Society, 2015, vol. 35, issue 6, pp. 1659-1681. DOI:10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2014.12.013.
2. Malič B., Koruza J., Hreščak J. et al. Sintering of lead-free piezoelectric sodium potassium niobate ceramics, Materials, 2015, vol. 8, issue 12, pp. 8117-8146. DOI: 10.3390/ma8125449.
3 Saito Y., Takao H., Tani T. et al. Lead-free piezoceramics, Nature, 2004, vol. 432, issue 7013, pp. 84-87. 10.1038/nature03028.
4. Cross E. Lead-free at last, Nature, 2004, vol. 432, issue 7013, pp. 24-25. DOI: 10.1038/nature03142.
5. Wu J., Xiao D., Zhu J. Potassium-sodium niobate lead-free piezoelectric materials: past, present, and future of phase boundaries, Chemical Reviews, 2015, vol. 115, issue 7, pp. 2559-2595. DOI: 10.1021/cr5006809.
6. Malyshkina O.V., Lisitsin V.S., Dec J., Łukasiewicz T. Pyroelectric and dielectric properties of calcium barium niobate single crystals, Physics of the Solid State, 2014, vol. 56, issue 9, pp. 1824-1827. DOI: 10.1134/S1063783414090194.
7. Eßer M., Burianek D., Klimm M., Mühlberg M. Single crystal growth of the tetragonal tungsten bronze CaxBa1-xNb2O6 (x =0.28; CBN –28), Journal of Crystal Growth, 2002, vol. 240, issue 1-2, pp. 1-5. DOI: 10.1016/S0022-0248(02)00868-0.
8. Guseva O.S., Malyshkina O.V., Ivanova A.I., Boitsova K.N. Osobennosti struktury keramiki na osnove niobata bariya - kal'tsiya [Barium and calcium niobate ceramics: specific features of their structure], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2021, issue 13, pp. 85-95. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.085. (In Russian).
9. Yao Y., Guo K., Bi D. et al. Pyroelectric properties of calcium doped strontium barium niobate ceramics Sr0.65−xCaxBa0.35Nb2O6 (x = 0.05–0.425), Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 2018, vol. 29, issue – P. 17777-17785. DOI: 10.1007/s10854-018-9885-3.
10. Li B., Wang D.,·Chen G. et al. Effect of K:Ba ratio on energy storage properties of strontium barium potassium niobate glass ceramics, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 2019, vol. 30, issue 21, pp. 19262-19269. DOI: 10.1007/s10854-019-02285-x.
11. Chen H., Guo S., Yao C. et al. Induced anisotropic behavior and enhanced electrical properties on hotpressed strontium barium niobate ceramics, Ceramics International, 2017, vol. 43, issue 4, pp. 3610-3615. DOI: 10.1016/j.ceramint.2016.11.198.
12. Malyshkina O., Ivanova A., Malyshkin Y. et al. Effect of Ca, Sr and Ba distribution on the relaxor properties of CSBN single
crystals, Ferroelectrics, 2017, vol. 211, issue 1, pp. 76-81. DOI: 10.1080/00150193.2017.1334183.