Preparation of biocomposites based on nanoscale hydroxyapatite with titanium compounds
E.A. Bogdanova, V.M. Skachkov, K.V. Nefedova
Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS
Abstract: The article discusses the possibility of obtaining a hardened composite material with a porous structure based on nanostructured hydroxyapatite (HAP) synthesized by precipitation from a solution. The new material by the mechanochemical synthesis of HAP with reinforcing additives of titanium compounds was obtained. The synthesized samples are certified using some modern physico-chemical methods of analysis. The influence of the qualitative and quantitative composition of the composite on the sintering processes, porosity, strength characteristics, the degree of dispersion and morphology of the studied samples is shown. It has been experimentally established that a sample based on hydroxyapatite, reinforced with non-stoichiometric titanium dioxide of the composition Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2 – 15%TiOx has the maximum strength characteristics and constant composition. The composite material, having a dense uniform structure with a high degree of crystallinity and a developed porosity, is a promising material for further research in order to introduce it into medical practice. A patent application has been filed on the developed composite material.
Keywords: hydroxyapatite, titanium oxide, titanium compounds, composite biomaterials, crystallinity, microhardness
- Ekaterina A. Bogdanova – Ph. D., Senior Researcher, Laboratories of heterogeneous processes chemistry, Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS
- Vladimir M. Skachkov – Ph. D., Senior Researcher, Laboratories of heterogeneous processes chemistry, Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS
- Ksenia V. Nefedova – Researcher, Laboratory of promising and functional materials for CCS, Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS
Bogdanova, E.A. Preparation of biocomposites based on nanoscale hydroxyapatite with titanium compounds / E.A. Bogdanova, V.M. Skachkov, K.V. Nefedova // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2022. — I. 14. — P. 521-530. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2022.14.521. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Barinov S.M., Komlev V.S. Biokeramika na osnove fosfatov kal'tsiya [Calcium phosphate bioceramics]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 2006, 204 p. (In Russian).
2. Kim H-W., Noh Y-J., Koh Y-H., Kim H-E., Kim H-M. Effect of CaF2 on densification and properties of hydroxyapatite–zirconia composites for biomedical applications, Biomaterials, 2002, vol. 23, issue 20, pp. 4113-4121. DOI: 10.1016/s0142-9612(02)00150-3.
3. Guidara A., Chaari K., Fakhfakh S., Bouaziz J. The effects of MgO, ZrO2 and TiO2 as additives on microstructure and mechanical properties of Al2O3–FAP composite, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2017, vol. 202, pp. 358-368. DOI: 10.1016/j.matchemphys.2017.09.039.
4. Htun Z.L., Ahmad N., Thant A.A., Noor A.-F.M. Characterization of CaO–ZrO2 reinforced hap biocomposite for strength and toughness improvement, Procedia Chemistry, 2016, vol. 19, pp. 510-516. DOI: 10.1016/j.proche.2016.03.046.
5. Mobasherpour I., Hashjin M. Solati, Toosi S.S. Razavi, Kamachali R. Darvishi Effect of the addition ZrO2– Al2O3 on nanocrystalline hydroxyapatite bending strength and fracture toughness, Ceramics International, 2009, vol. 35, issue 4, pp. 1569-1574. DOI: 10.1016/j.ceramint.2008.08.017.
6. Rempel S.V., Eselevich D.A., Gerasimov E.Yu., Valeeva A.A. Impact of titanium monoxide stoichiometry and heat treatment on the properties of TiOy/HAp nanocomposite, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2019, vol. 800, pp. 412-418. DOI: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2019.06.057.
7. Rempel S.V., Bogdanova Е.А., Valeeva А.А., Schroettner H., Sabirzyanov N.А., Rempel А.А. The effect of substoichiometric nanocrystalline titanium monoxide (TiOy) additions on the strength properties of hydroxyapatite (HAp), Inorganic Materials. 2016, vol. 52, issue 5, pp. 476-482. DOI: 10.1134/S0020168516050137.
8. Rempel S.V., Valeeva А.А., Bogdanova Е.А., Schroettner H., Sabirzyanov N.А., Rempel А.А. Vacuum-made nanocomposite of low-temperature hydroxyapatite (HAp) and hard nonstoichiometric titanium monoxide (TiOy) with enhanced mechanical properties, Mendeleev Communications, 2016, vol. 26, issue 6, pp. 543-545. DOI: 10.1016/j.mencom.2016.11.029.
9. Placido F., McLean A., Ogwu A.A., Ademosu W. Titanium dioxide coatings for medical devices, Surgical Tools and Medical Devices, ed. by M.J. Jackson, W. Ahmed. Cham, Springer, 2016, pp. 81-91. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-33489-9_3.
10. Farzin A., Ahmadian M., Fathi M.H. Comparative evaluation of biocompatibility of dense nanostructured and microstructured Hydroxyapatite/Titania composites, Materials Science and Engineering: C, 2013, vol. 33, issue 4, pp. 2251-2257. DOI: 10.1016/j.msec.2013.01.053.
11. Khalajabadi S.Z., Ahmad N., Izman S. et al. In vitro biodegradation, electrochemical corrosion evaluations and mechanical properties of an Mg/HA/TiO2 nanocomposite for biomedical applications, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2017, V. 696, pp. 768-781. DOI: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2016.11.106.
12. He Y., Zhang Y., Jiang Y., Zhou R., Zhang J. Microstructure evolution, electrochemical properties and in-vitro properties of Ti-Nb-Zr based biocomposite by hydroxyapatite bioceramic, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2018, V. 764, pp. 987-1002. DOI: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2018.06.132.
13. Sabirzyanov N.A., Bogdanova E.A., Khonina T.G. Sposob polucheniya suspenzii gidroksiapatita [A method of obtaining a suspension of hydroxyapatite]. Patent RF, no. 2406693, 2010. (In Russian).
14. Bogdanova E.A., Skachkov V.М., Medyankina I.S. et al. Formation of nanodimensional structures in precipitated hydroxyapatite by fluorine substitution, SN Applied Sciences, 2020, vol. 2, issue 9, art. no. 1565, 7 p. DOI: 10.1007/s42452-020-03388-5.