Strength and functional characteristics of hexa and pentagonal 2D materials. Hydrogen
E.D. Kurbanova, V.A. Polukhin
Institute of Metallurgy of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Science
Abstract: An analysis of synthesized unique two-dimensional 2D materials with nanolayer hexagonal and pentagonal structures (based on carbon, silicon, tin, binary compounds CN2, BN2, PdSe2 and ternary compounds – BCN, CNP, PdSSe, Zn2C2P2) was carried out. The synthesis of these materials was performed by the chemical vapor deposition or metal epitaxy on pre-prepared substrates. The strength and functional characteristics (electronic, optical) of the created models were also analyzed using the DFT theory in the form of triple monolayers with double-sided deposition of hydrogen on the surface of the p-Si2C4 monolayer: hydrogen/p-Si2C4/hydrogen. It was found that the p-Si2C4-4H layer with its two-sided hydrogen adsorption and good properties was the most dynamically stable. This article also presents relatively recently obtained hexa- and pentagonal two-dimensional materials not only for the elements C, Si, Ge, B, but also for Cu1–xNix, Ti1–xNix alloys and Bi1–xSbx, CN2, BN2, PdSe2, etc. compounds. So, with the new unique materials created – the synthesis of superstrong, thermostable nanocomposites, superconducting layered composites (based on Bi, Hg and Sb), prospects are opening up for the development of nanoelectronics, spintronics, computer technology, as well as the creation of portable strain gauges, pressure sensors, gas sensors and dialysis catalysts for water dialysis with the release of hydrogen and oxygen.
Keywords: hexagonal and pentagonal structures of 2D materials, material modeling, mechanical properties, catalytic properties
- Elmira D. Kurbanova – Ph.D., Researcher, Institute of Metallurgy of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Science
- Valery A. Polukhin – Dr. Sc., Chief Researcher, Institute of Metallurgy of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Science
Kurbanova, E.D. Strength and functional characteristics of hexa and pentagonal 2D materials. Hydrogen / E.D. Kurbanova, V.A. Polukhin // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2022. — I. 14. — P. 458-467. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2022.14.458. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Polukhin V.A., Vatolin N.A. Thermal stability and deformation mechanisms in graphene- or silicene- reinforced layered and matrix metallic composites, Russian Metallurgy (Metally), 2018, vol. 2018, issue 8, pp. 685-699. DOI: 10.1134/S0036029518080153.
2. Polukhin V.A., Kurbanova E.D. Dependence of the thermal stability of the interface states of d metals (Cu, Pd, Ti, Ni) and Al with graphene on the character of sorption and diffusion mobility in a contact zone, Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 2015, vol. 89, issue 3, pp. 531-546. DOI: 10.1134/S0036024415030243.
3. Polukhin V.A., Kurbanova E.D. Stability, atomic dynamics, and thermal destruction of the d metal/graphene interface structure, Russian Metallurgy (Metally), 2017, vol. 2017, issue 2, pp. 116-126. DOI: 10.1134/S0036029517020112.
4. Shen Y., Wang Q. Pentagon-based 2D materials: Classification, properties and applications, Physics Reports, 2022, vol. 964, pp. 1-42. DOI: 10.1016/j.physrep.2022.03.003.
5. Maymoun M., Oukahou S., Elomrani A. et al. Surface functionalization of penta-siligraphene monolayer for nanoelectronic, optoelectronic and photocatalytic water-splitting: A first-principles study, Applied Surface Science, 2022, vol. 590, art. no. 152972, 10 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2022.152972.
6. Sun W., Shen Y., Guo Y., Chen Y., Wang Q. 1, 2, 4-azadiphosphole-based piezoelectric penta-CNP sheet with high spontaneous polarization, Applied Surface Science, 2021, vol. 554, art. no. 149499, 6 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2021.149499.
7. Zhao K., Guo Y., Shen Y.et al. Penta-BCN: A new ternary pentagonal monolayer with intrinsic piezoelectricity, The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 2020, vol. 11, issue 9, pp. 3501-3506. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpclett.0c00824.
8. Bravo S., Pacheco M., Nunez V. Two-dimensional Weyl points and nodal lines in pentagonal materials and their optical response, Nanoscale, 2021, vol. 13, issue 12, pp. 6117-6128. DOI: 10.1039/D1NR00064K.
9. Zhou Y., Yang X., He J. PdSSe: Two-dimensional pentagonal Janus structures with strong visible light absorption for photovoltaic and photocatalytic applications, Vacuum, 2020, vol. 181, art. no. 109649, 6 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.vacuum.2020.10964.
10. Kilic M.E., Lee K.R. Penta carbides: Two-dimensional group-IV semiconductors containing C2 dimers for nanoelectronics and photocatalytic water splitting, Physical Review Materials, 2021, vol. 5, issue 6, pp. 065404-1-065404-14. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevMaterials.5.065404.
11. Li J., Fan X., Wei Y., Chen G. Penta-BN sheet: a density functional theory study of two-dimensional material, Scientific Reports, 2016, vol. 6, art. no. 31840, 9 p. DOI: 10.1038/srep31840.
12. Cheng Z., Zhang X., Zhang H. et al. Binary pentagonal auxetic materials for photocatalysis and energy storage with outstanding performances, Nanoscale, 2022, vol. 14, issue 5, pp. 2041-2051. DOI: 10.1039/D1NR08368F.
13. Born M., Huang K. Dynamical theory of crystal lattices. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1954, 432 p.
14. Voigt W. Lehrbuch der kristallphysik (mit ausschluss der kristalloptik). Stuttgart, Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden, 1966, XXVI, 979 p. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-663-15884-4. (In German).
15. Zhang S., Zhou J., Wang Q., Jena P. Beyond graphitic carbon nitride: nitrogen-rich penta-CN2 sheet, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2016, vol. 120, issue 7, pp. 3993-3998. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.5b12510.
16. Sun S., Meng F., Xu Y. et al. Flexible, auxetic and strain-tunable two dimensional penta-X2C family as water splitting photocatalysts with high carrier mobility, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2019, vol. 7, issue 13, pp. 7791-7799. DOI: 10.1039/C8TA12405A.
17. Xiong W., Huang K., Yuan S. The mechanical, electronic and optical properties of two-dimensional transition metal chalcogenides MX2 and M2X3 (M = Ni, Pd; X = S, Se, Te) with hexagonal and orthorhombic structures, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 2019, vol. 7, issue 43, pp. 13518-13525. DOI: 10.1039/C9TC04933A.
18. Zhang S., Zhou J., Wang Q. Penta-graphene: a new carbon allotrope, The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2015, vol. 112, issue 8, pp. 2372-2377. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1416591112.
19. Lv X., Yu L., Li F. et al. Penta-MS2 (M = Mn, Ni, Cu/Ag and Zn/Cd) monolayers with negative Poisson’s ratios and tunable bandgaps as water-splitting photocatalysts, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2022, vol. 9, issue 11, pp. 6993-7004. DOI: 10.1039/D1TA00019E.
20. Long C., Liang Y., Jin H. et al. PdSe2: Flexible two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides monolayer for water splitting photocatalyst with extremely low recombination rate, ACS Applied Energy Materials, 2018, vol. 2, issue 1, pp. 513-520. DOI: 10.1021/acsaem.8b01521.
21. Polukhin V.A., Sidorov N.I., Kurbanova E.D., Belyakova R.M. Characteristics of amorphous, nanocrystalline and crystalline membrane alloys, Russian Metallurgy (Metally), 2022, vol. 2022, issue 8, pp. 869-880. DOI: 10.1134/S0036029522080122.
22. Galashev A.E., Polukhin V.A. Computer-assisted study of silver absorption by porous silicon dioxide nanoparticles, Colloid Journal, 2011, vol. 73, issue 6, pp. 761-767. DOI: 10.1134/S1061933X11050036.
23. Belyakova R.M., Kurbanova E.D., Polukhin V.A. Analiz kharakteristik membrannykh splavov na osnove Nb – Ni i V – Ni [Analysis of Nb – Ni and V – Ni based membrane characteristics], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2021, issue 13, pp. 552-561. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.552. (In Russian).
24. Lin Z., Xiao B., Wang Z. et al. Planar-coordination PdSe2 nanosheets as highly active electrocatalyst for hydrogen evolution reaction, Advanced Functional Materials, 2021, vol. 31, issue 32, art. no. 2102321, 6 p. DOI: 10.1002/adfm.202102321.
25. Zheng K., Cui H., Luo H. et al. Two-dimensional penta-SiAs2: a potential metal-free photocatalyst for overall water splitting, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 2020, vol. 8, issue 34, pp. 11980-11987. DOI: 10.1039/D0TC01206H.
26. Ying Y., Fan K., Luo X., Huang H. Predicting two-dimensional pentagonal transition metal monophosphides for efficient electrocatalytic nitrogen reduction, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2019, vol. 7, issue 18, pp. 11444-11451. DOI: 10.1039/C8TA11605A.