Luminescent method for determination of nanoscale particles of rare earth elements with sulfosalicylic acid derivatives
S.A. Elcheparova, A.A. Kokoevа
Kabardino-Balkarian State University named after H.M. Berbekov
Abstract: It was of interest to search for luminescent reactions to terbium in complexes with sulfosalicylic acid derivatives and to enhance them by studying the effect of third components (aminopolycarboxylic acids, organic bases and surfactants). As the results of the conducted studies have shown, surfactants increase the intensity of the glow of terbium ions in complexes with sulfosalicylic acid derivatives. The existence of a bright luminescent reaction of green terbium in complex with the methyl ester of S-(4-bromanilide) sulfosalicylic acid has been established. Optimal conditions for the complexation of terbium have been selected and highly sensitive luminescent methods for the determination of terbium in various objects have been developed. Terbium is converted into a luminescent complex compound with an organic reagent –
methyl ether S-(4-bromanilide) sulfosalicylic acid in the presence of a cationic surfactant decylpyridinium chloride in a ratio of 1: 2: 13, pH = 7,9 ± 0,08. The resulting complex compound of terbium, when irradiated with ultraviolet light from a mercury lamp, gives intense green luminescence, stable during standing and irradiation. The proposed method makes it possible to determine terbium in oxides of rare earth elements, which are luminescence quenchers with a sensitivity of 10-6 – 10-8%, bypassing the extraction stage.
Keywords: nanoscale particles, rare earth elements, lanthanides, organic reagent, complex compound, terbium, luminescence, detection limit
- Svetlana A. Elcheparova – Ph. D., Engineer, Department of Inorganic and Physical Chemistry, Kabardino-Balkarian State University named after H.M. Berbekov
- Aneta A. Kokoevа – Ph. D., Senior Researcher, Research and Innovation Management Employee, Kabardino-Balkarian State University named after H.M. Berbekov
Elcheparova, S.A. Luminescent method for determination of nanoscale particles of rare earth elements with sulfosalicylic acid derivatives / S.A. Elcheparova, A.A. Kokoevа // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2022. — I. 14. — P. 254-263. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2022.14.254. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Katkova M.A., Ilichev V.A., Konev A.N., Bochkarev M.N. Rare-earth metal 8-hydroxyquinolinate complexes as materials for organic light-emitting diodes, Russian Chemical Bulletin, 2008, vol. 57, issue 11. pp. 2281-2284. DOI: 10.1007/s11172-008-0321-3.
2. Larionov V.P., Zorin E.E. Primenenie redkikh i redkozemel'nykh elementov dlya polucheniya khladostojkikh konstruktsionnykh materialov [The use of rare and rare earth elements to obtain cold-resistant structural materials], Svarochnoe proizvodstvo [Welding production], 2003, no. 10, pp. 42-44. (In Russian).
3. Erkinbayeva N.A., Ysmanov E.M., Tashpolotov Y. Fiziko-khimicheskie svojstva i primenenie redkozemel'nykh elementov [Physico-chemical properties and application of rare earth elements], Tendentsii razvitiya nauki i obrazovaniya [Trends in the Development of Science and Education], 2021, no. 76-1, pp. 56-60. DOI: 10.18411/lj-08-2021-13. (In Russian).
4. Dagnall R.M., Smith R., West F.S. A specific spectrofluorimetric determination of terbium as its EDTA – sulfosalicylic acid complex, Analyst, 1967, vol.92, issue 1092, pp. 358-363. DOI: 10.1039/AN9679200358.
5. Charles R.G., Riedel E.P. A fluorescent terbium chelate system in water solution, Journal of Inorganic and Nuclear Chemistry, 1966, vol. 28, issue 2, pp. 527-536. DOI: 10.1016/0022-1902(66)80334-2.
6. Poluektov P.S., Alakaeva L.A., Tishchenko M.A. Vzaimodejstvie ionov redkozemel'nykh elementov s 2,3-dioksiloftalinom i etilendiamintetrauksosnoj kislotoj [Interaction of ions of rare earth elements with 2,3-dioxylophthalene and ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid], Zhurnal neorganicheskoj khimii [Russian Journal of Inorganic Chemistry], 1973, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 81-84. (In Russian).
7. Savvin S.B. Organic reagents in spectrophotometric analysis, Russian Chemical Reviews, 1985, vol. 54, issue 11, pp. 1074-1090. DOI: 10.1070/RC1985v054n11ABEH003158.
8. Steblevskaya N.I., Belobeletskaya M.V., Medkov M.A., Rudnev V.S. Extraction-pyrolytic synthesis and luminescent properties of europium and terbium polytantalates, Russian Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, 2017, vol. 62. issue 3, pp. 275-280. DOI: 10.1134/S0036023617030160.
9. Ilichev V.A., Silantyeva L.I., Kukinov A.A., Bochkarev M.N. Photophysical properties of IR luminescent lanthanide complexes with polyfluorinated ligands, Journal of Nesmeyanov Institute of Organoelement Compounds of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2019, vol. 2, issue 3, pp. 78-83. DOI: 10.32931/io1912r.
10. Peretertov V.A., Kolokolov F.A. Synthesis and luminescent properties of terbium(iii) and europium(iii) fluoride nanoparticles modified with aromatic carboxylic acids, Russian Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, 2018, vol. 63, issue 5, pp. 661-664. DOI: 10.1134/S0036023618050169.
11. Kokoeva A.A., Elcheparova S.A., Tatrokova I.A., Tatrakova A.A. Lyuminestsentnyj sposob opredeleniya terbiya s metiletilovym efirom sul'fosalitsilovoj kisloty [Luminescent method for the determination of terbium with methyl ethyl ether of sulfosalicylic acid]. Patent RF, no. 2747594, 2021. (In Russian). (In Russian).
12. Alakayeva L.A., Thamokov A.K. Efiry proizvodnykh sul'fosalitsilovoj kisloty kak novye lyuminestsentnye reagenta na terbij [Esters of sulfosalicylic acid derivatives as new luminescent reagents for terbium], Izvestiya Vysshikh Uchebnykh Zavedenii, Seriya Khimiya i Khimicheskaya Tekhnologiya [The Journal ChemChemTech], 2013, vol. 56, no. 6, рр. 16-19. (In Russian).
13. Alakayeva L.A., Bakhova A.Z. Lyuminestsentnye svojstva terbiya v komplekse s s-butilovym efirom sul'fosalitsilovoj kisloty [Luminescent properties of terbium in complex with S-butyl ether of sulfosalicylic acid], Izvestiya Vysshikh Uchebnykh Zavedenii, Seriya Khimiya i Khimicheskaya Tekhnologiya [The Journal ChemChemTech], 2013, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 22-25. (In Russian).
14. Tatrokova S.A., Alakaeva L.A., Gurdaliev Kh.Kh. The use of luminescent properties of lantanide complexes with replaced of sulphosalicyl in miscelar media, International congress on analytical sciences ICAS-2006, 25-30 June 2006, Moscow, proceedings. Moscow, Russian Academy of Sciences, 2006, vol. 2, pp. 533-534.