Internal friction caused by migration of the intercrystalline boundary in the metal
V.G. Kul’kov, V.V. Kul’kova
Branch of the National Research University «Moscow Power Engineering Institute» in Volzhsky
Abstract: The model of internal friction at the migrating intercrystalline boundary is considered. Under the action of an alternating external stress oriented normally to the boundary, compression and stretching of the mating crystallites occurs. Due to their anisotropy and mutual reversal, Young’s modules in the direction of the stress action are different. The volume density of elastic energy in crystallites is different. This leads to the emergence of an effective driving force for boundary migration. As a model, a square segment of the boundary is selected, fixed along the perimeter by triple grain joints. The Laplace stress from the side of the curved boundary is counteracting. The differential equation of the connection of the boundary displacement with the total voltage is solved by the Fourier method. Based on this solution, the internal friction is calculated. The relaxation time spectrum consists of a series of lines. Each of them corresponds to the peak of Debye. The main peak has a significant value, smaller peaks are superimposed on it. The resulting maximum of internal friction widens in comparison with the Debye peak.
Keywords: driving force, migration of the intercrystalline boundary, peak of internal friction, relaxation time
- Viktor G. Kul’kov – Dr. Sc., Professor, Branch of the National Research University «Moscow Power Engineering Institute» in Volzhsky
- Valentina V. Kul’kova – Ph. D., Associate Professor, Branch of the National Research University «Moscow Power Engineering Institute» in Volzhsky
Kul’kov, V.G. Internal friction caused by migration of the intercrystalline boundary in the metal / V.G. Kul’kov, V.V. Kul’kova // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2022. — I. 14. — P. 159-167. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2022.14.159. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Nowick A.S., Berry В.S. Anelastic Relaxation in Crystalline Solids, New York, London, Academic Press Publ., 1972, 677 p. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-522650-9.X5001-0.
2. Blanter M.S. Golovin I.S., Neuhäuser H., Sinning H.-R. Internal friction in metallic materials, Springer Berlin, Heidelberg, 2007, 542 p. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-540-68758-0.
3. Gridnev S.A., Kalinin Y.E. O vakansionnoj prirode vysokotemperaturnogo fona vnutrennego treniya v tverdykh telakh [On the vacancy nature of the high-temperature background of internal friction in solids], Zhurnal tekhnicheskoj fiziki [Technical Physics], 2022, vol. 92, issue 2, pp. 196-202. DOI: 10.21883/JTF.2022.02.52013.146-21. (In Russian).
4. Mulyukov R.R., Imaev R.M., Nazarov A.A. et al. Sverkhplastichnost' ul'tramelkozernistykh splavov: Eksperiment, teoriya, tekhnologii [Superplasticity of ultrafine-grained alloys: Experiment, theory, technology], Moscow, Nauka Publ., 2014, 284 p. (In Russian).
5. Gusev A.I. Nanomaterialy, nanostruktury, nanotekhnologii [Nanomaterials, nanostructures, nanotechnologies], Moscow, Fizmatlit Publ., 2005, 416 p. (In Russian).
6. Kê T.S. Experimental evidence of the viscous behavior of grain boundaries in metals, Physical Review, 1947, vol. 71, issue 8, pp. 533-546. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRev.71.533.
7. Khannanov Sh.Kh., Nikanorov S.P. Constrained grain-boundary sliding and inelasticity of polycrystals, Technical Physics, 2006, vol. 51, issue 1, pp. 52-56. DOI: 10.1134/S1063784206010087.
8. Kul’kov V.G. Diffusion model of internal friction in nanocrystalline materials, Technical Physics, 2007, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 333-338. DOI: 10.1134/S1063784207030085.
9. Kul’kov V.G., Syshchikov A.A. Internal friction at the grain boundaries with elongated pores, Technical Physics Letters, 2019, vol. 45, issue 2, pp. 82-84. DOI: 10.1134/S106378501902010X.
10. Kul’kov V.G. Contribution of grain boundary pores to the high-temperature background of internal friction in metals with ultrafine grain, Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences: Physics, 2020, vol. 84, issue 9, pp. 1043-1047. DOI: 10.3103/S1062873820090221.
11. Gottstein G., Shvindlerman L.S. Grain Boundary Migration in Metals: Thermodynamics, Kinetics, Applications, Boca Raton FL, CRC Press Publ., 2010, 674 p. DOI: 10.1201/9781420054361.
12. Chuvil'deev V.N. Neravnovesnye granitsy zeren v metallakh. Teoriya i prilozheniya [Nonequilibrium grain boundaries in metals. Theory and Applications], Moscow, Fizmatlit Publ., 2004, 304 p. (In Russian).
13. Orlov A.N., Perevezentsev V.N., Rybin V.V. Granitsy zeren v metallakh [Grain boundaries in metals], Moscow, Metallurgiya Publ., 1980, 154 p. (In Russian).
14. Kul’kov V.G., Polyakov A.S. Migration of an incommensurate high-angle grain boundary, Russian Metallurgy (Metally), 2012, no. 4, pp. 263-268. DOI: 10.1134/S0036029512040064.
15. Günster C., Molotov D.A., Gottstein G. Migration of grain boundaries in Zn, Acta Materialia, 2013, vol. 61, issue 7, pp. 2363-2375. DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2013.01.007.
16. Illgen G., Bohne B., Wagner M.F.-X., Frint Ph. Thermal stability of SPD-processed aluminum alloys – Internal friction as an indication for recovery, recrystallization and abnormal grain growth, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, 2022, vol. 17, pp. 1752-1759. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmrt.2022.01.149.
17. Kul’kov V.G. Internal friction at grain boundaries with nonlinear viscosity, Russian Metallurgy (Metally), 2005, no. 4, pp. 346-349.
18. Golovin I.S. Grain-boundary relaxation in copper before and after equal-channel angular pressing and recrystallization, The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2010, vol. 110, issue 4, pp. 405-413. DOI: 10.1134/S0031918X10100121.
19. Kul'kov V.G. Mezhzerennoe skol'zhenie po granitse s ustupami [Intergrain sliding along the boundary with ledges], Poverkhnost'. Rentgenovskie, Sinkhrotronnye i Neitronnye Issledovaniya [Journal of Surface Investigation: X-Ray, Synchrotron and Neutron Techniques], 2005, issue 8, pp. 84-87. (In Russian).