Crystallization of lead-free binary tin-zinc alloys produced by the method of rapidly solidification from the melt
Mozyr State Pedagogical University named after I.P.Shamyakin
Abstract: The results of studies of the structures of rapidly solidified foils of alloys of the Sn – Zn system with a low content of alloying elements (up to ~1,5 wt.%), alloys of near-eutectic compositions, as well as alloys with an alloying element content of 20 – 95 wt.% are presented. In rapidly solidified alloys containing 1,5 wt. % Sn and 1,2 wt. % Zn, supersaturated solid solutions are formed, which decompose according to the mechanism of formation and growth of nuclei of a new phase at room temperature. Alloys (4,4 – 15 wt.% Zn) after rapidly solidification are supercooled and supersaturated with both components, and experience spinodal decomposition followed by the formation of supersaturated solid solutions based on Sn and Zn, which decompose at room temperature. In all other alloys, a two-phase structure is formed from solid solutions based on Sn and Zn. It was found that as the crystallization front moves from the surface of the contacting foil layer with the surface of the mold, the Sn particles coarsen and the specific surface of the interface
decreases. It has been established that rapidly solidified foils have a microcrystalline grain structure, with an increase in the concentration of alloying elements, a tendency to a decrease in grain size is observed.
Keywords: rapidly solidified alloys, zinc, tin, grain, spinodal decomposition, supersaturated solution, eutectic, structure
- Denis A. Zernitsa – Lecturer, Engineering and Pedagogical Education Department, Mozyr State Pedagogical University named after I.P.Shamyakin
Zernitsa, D.A. Crystallization of lead-free binary tin-zinc alloys produced by the method of rapidly solidification from the melt / D.A. Zernitsa // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2022. — I. 14. — P. 92-100. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2022.14.092. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Lavernia E.I., Ayers I.D., Srivatson T.S. Rapid solidification processing with specific applications to aluminum alloys, International Materials Reviews, 1992, vol. 37, issue 1, pp. 1-44. DOI: 10.1179/imr.1922.214.171.124.
2. Amorphous Metals, ed. by K. Suzuki, H. Fujimori, K. Hashimoto. London, Butterworths, 1983, 300 p.
3. Aleksandrov V.D., Barannikov A.A. Investigation of the influence of the thermal prehistory of zinc and cadmium melts on their crystallization, Technical Physics Letters, 1998, vol. 24, issue 7, pp. 573-574. DOI: 10.1134/1.1262200.
4. Kuznetsov V.D. Kristally i kristallizatsiya [Crystals and crystallization]. Moscow, Gosudarstvennoe izdatel'stvo tekhniko-teoreticheskoi literatury Publ., 1954, 411 p. (In Russian).
5. Jing Y., Sheng G., Zhao G. Influence of rapid solidification on microstructure, thermodynamic characteristic and the mechanical properties of solder/Cu joints of Sn-9Zn alloy, Materials and Design, 2013, vol. 52, pp. 92-97. DOI: 10.1016/j.matdes.2013.05.011.
6. Kamal M. Gouda E.-S. Effect of rapid solidification on structure and properties of some lead-free solder alloys, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 2006, vol. 21, issue 8. pp. 736-740. DOI: 10.1080/10426910600727890.
7. Miroshnichenko I.S. Zakalka iz zhidkogo sostoyaniya [Quenching from a liquid state]. Moscow, Metallurgiya Publ., 1982, 168 p. (In Russian).
8. Lyakishev N.P., Bannykh O.A., Rokhlin L.L. et al. Diagrammy sostoyaniya dvoinykh metallicheskikh sistem: Spravochnik [State diagrams of binary metal systems: handbook], ed. by N.P. Lyakisheva. Moscow, Mashinostroenie Publ., 2000, vol. 3, book 2, 448 p. (In Russian).
9. Bokshtein B.S. Diffuziya v metallakh [Diffusion in metals]. Moscow, Metallurgiya Publ., 1978, 248 p. (In Russian).
10. Martin J.W., Doherty R.D. Stability of microstructure in metallic systems. – Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1976, x, 298 p.
11. Shepelevich V.G., Zernitsa D.A. The formation of the structure of the alloys of the tin–zinc system upon high-speed solidification, Inorganic Materials: Applied Research, 2021, vol. 12, issue 4. pp. 1094-1099. DOI: 10.1134/S2075113321040407.
12. Glazov V.M., Pavlova L.M. Khimicheskaya termodinamika i fazovye ravnovesiya [Chemical Thermodynamics and Phase Equilibria]. Moscow, Metallurgiya Publ., 1988, 560 p. (In Russian).
13. Maltsev V.M. Metallografiya promyshlennykh tsvetnykh metallov i splavov [Metallography of industrial non-ferrous metals and alloys]. Moscow, Kniga po Trebovaniyu Publ., 2012, 366 p. (In Russian).
14. Tikhonov B.S. Prokatka tsinka [Rolling of zinc]. Moscow, Metallurgizdat Publ., 1963, 200 p. (In Russian).