Study of relaxation transitions in some aromatic polyesters
A.M. Kharaev, R.Ch. Bazheva
Kabardino-Balkarian State University named after H.M. Berbekov
Abstract: The spin probe method was used to systematically study the main relaxation transitions of rigid-chain glassy polymers in a wide temperature range using spin probes of different sizes using polysulfone as an example. In the main relaxation region of aromatic polyesters, two inflections were found using the spin probe method. The two inflections found in the temperature dependence of the rotation correlation time are the result of unfreezing of segmental mobility in regions with different packing of segments. It was shown that the high-temperature inflection corresponds to the defrosting of the cooperative-type segmental mobility (α -transition), and the inflection at a lower temperature corresponds to the β -defrosting of the segmental mobility of the local type (the α′-process). To explain the nature of this transition, a theoretical model of the polymer was used, where it is assumed that different levels of supramolecular organization are possible in amorphous polymers, i.e. the existence of more ordered and more densely packed regions, which alternate with looser and less ordered regions. The influence of various factors on the position of the α′-transition on the temperature scale is investigated. The choice of the probe volume on the basis of a strictly substantiated model of its motion made it possible to reveal the relationship between the rotational motion of the probe and the motion of individual segments of the amorphous polymer below the glass transition temperature.
Keywords: polyester, polysulfone, polycarbonate, spin probe method, glass transition temperature, pre-carbonate temperature
- Arsen M. Kharaev – Dr. Sc., Professor, Director of the Institute of Chemistry and Biology, Kabardino-Balkarian State University named after H.M. Berbekov
- Rima Ch. Bazheva – Dr. Sc., Professor, Department of Organic Chemistry and Macromolecular Compounds, Institute of Chemistry and Biology, Kabardino-Balkarian State University named after H.M. Berbekov
Kharaev, A.M. Study of relaxation transitions in some aromatic polyesters / A.M. Kharaev, R.Ch. Bazheva // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2021. — I. 13. — P. 928-936. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.928. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Buhler von K.-U. Spezialplaste. Berlin, Akademie-Verlag, 1978, 1015 p.
2. Kharaev A.M., Bazheva R.C., Parchieva M.M. et al. Aromatic polyethersulfones with improved physical and mechanical indices, Polymer Science. Series D, 2021, vol. 14, issue 2, pp. 280-283. DOI: 10.1134/S1995421221020118.
3. Shut P.I., Klimenko P.V., Lazorenko M.V. Priroda β -processa relaksacii v polisul'fone [The nature of the β-relaxation process in polysulfone], Vysokomolekulyarnye soedineniya. Seriya B [Polymer Science B], 1987, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 276-278. (In Russian).
4. Bershtejn V.A., Egorov V.M. Differencial'naya skaniruyushchaya kalorimetriya v fizikohimii polimerov [Differential Scanning Calorimetry in Polymer Physicochemistry]. Leningrad, Khimiya Publ., 1990, 256 p. (In Russian).
5. Sasuga Т., Hayakawa N., Yoshida К. Mechanical properties of electron-irradiated polysulphones, Journal of Polymer Science: Polymer Physics Edition, 1984, vol. 22, issue 3, pp. 529-533. DOI: 10.1002/pol.1984.180220315.
6. Lushchejkin G. A., Bolotina L. M., Polevaya M. K., Veslov V.V. Dielektricheskie svojstva polisul'fonov [Dielectric properties of polysulfones], Plasticheskie Massy, 1989, no. 2, pp. 37-40. (In Russian).
7. Colmenero J., Alegria A., Alberdi J.M., del Val J.J., Ucar G. New secondary relaxation in polymeric glasses: A possible common feature of the glassy state, Physical Review В, 1987, vol. 35, issue I. 8, pp. 3995-4000. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.35.3995.
8. Vasserman A.M., Kovarskij A.L. Spinovye metki i zondy v fizikohimii polimerov [Spin labels and probes in the physicochemistry of polymers], Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1986, 246 p. (In Russian).
9. Bazheva R.Ch., Bashorov M.T., Kazancheva F.K. Issledovanie relaksacionnyh perekhodov v PK-PTMO blok-sopolimerah metodov spinovogo zonda [Investigation of relaxation transitions in PC-PTMO block copolymers by spin probe methods], Vestnik Kabardino-Balkarskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya khimicheskie nauki, 1999, no. 3, pp. 8-11. (In Russian).
10. Bazheva R.Ch., Bashorov M.T., Mikitaev A.K. Issledovanie temperaturnyh perekhodov v polikarbonate i polikarbonat-politetrametilenoksidnyh blok-sopolimerah [Investigation of temperature transitions in polycarbonate and polycarbonate-polytetramethylene oxide block copolymers], Khimicheskaya promyshlennost' segodnya, 2007, no. 8, pp. 35-40 (In Russian).
11. Bashorov M.T., Kozlov G.V., Zaikov G.E., Mikitaev A.K. Polymers as natural nanocomposites: The structural analysis of thermo-physical properties, Polymers as natural composites. Series: Nanotechnology science and technology, ed. by S.R. Matsuda. Nova Science Publishers, 2011, pp. 31-38.
12. Bashorov M.T., Kozlov G.V., Zaikov G.E., Mikitaev A.K. The characteristics of EPR spectra as indicator of a molecular mobility level in polymers: Polymers as natural composites. Series: Nanotechnology science and technology, ed. by S.R. Matsuda. Nova Science Publishers, 2011, pp. 61-72.
13. Bashorov M.T., Kozlov G.V., Mikitaev A.K., Zaikov G.E. EPR spectra using for polymers molecular mobility description, in book: Polymer and composites: Theory and practical applications. Series: Polymer science and technology, ed. by G.V. Kozlov, A.K. Mikitaev, G.E. Zaikov. Nova Science Publishers, 2011, pp. 27-35.
14. Kozlov G.V., Bashorov M.T., Mikitaev A.K., Zaikov G.E. Synergetics of glass transition for polymeric materials, Journal of the Balkan Tribological Association, 2011, vol. 17, issue 4, pp. 568-573.
15. Rudowicz C., Chung C. Y. The generalization of the extended stevens operators to higher ranks and spins, and a systematic review of the tables of the tensor operators and their matrix elements, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 2004, vol. 16, no. 32, pp. 5825-5847. DOI: 10.1088/0953-8984/16/32/018.
16. Grushevskaya E.A., Dmitrieva E.A., Lebedev I.A. i dr. Sposob uvelicheniya otnosheniya signal/shum v EPR spektroskopii [Method of increase of signal/noise ratio in EPR spectroscopy], Vestnik Kazahskogo nacional'nogo universiteta. Seriya fizicheskaya [Recent Contributions to Physics], 2018, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 76-82 (In Russian).
17. Nikolskiy S.N., Abilkanova F.Zh., Golovenko A.S., Pustolaikina I.A., Masalimov A.S. Investigation of intermolecular proton exchange of 3,6–di-tert-butyl–2–oxyphenoxyl with n-phenylanthranilic acid by ESR spectroscopy method, Bulletin of the Karaganda University. Chemistry Series, 2020, no. 2 (98), pp. 35-41. DOI 10.31489/2020Ch2/35-41.
18. Zinov'eva A.F. Zinov'ev V.A., Nenashev A.V. i dr. Electron spin resonance in heterostructures with ring molecules of GeSi quantum dots, JETP Letters, 2021, vol. 113, issue 1, pp. 52-56. DOI: 10.1134/S0021364021010112.
19. Tihonov N.I., Hucishvili T.I., Vakul'skaya N.P. Kuznecova, Emel'yanov A.I., Pozdnyakov A.S. Formation of silver-containing nanocomposites during thermolysis of polyacrylonitrile salt: EPR study, Polymer Science, Series B, 2021, vol. 63, issue2, pp. 175-181. DOI: 10.1134/S1560090421010073.
20. Kamalova D.I., Umarov A.V., Negmatov S.S. EPR spektroskopicheskoe issledovanie kompozicionnyh polimernyh materialov [EPR spectroscopic study of composite polymer materials], Universum: tekhnicheskie nauki, 2021, no. 1 (82). 3 p. (In Russian).