Synthesis and study of gas-sensitive nanostructures of the Zn–Sn–O system
S.S. Nalimova1, Z.V. Shomakhov2, K.N. Punegova1, A.A. Ryabko1, A.I. Maximov1
1 Saint Petersburg Electrotechnical University «LETI»
2 Kabardino-Balkarian State University
Abstract: Zinc oxide nanorods were synthesized by the hydrothermal method. The obtained samples were processed in an aqueous-alcohol solution of potassium stannate and urea at 170 °C during different times. As a result, Zn–Sn–O nanostructures were obtained. The surface chemical composition of ZnO and Zn–Sn–O was studied using the X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. Its sensitivity to vapors of isopropyl alcohol (1000 ppm) at 120 °C, 180 °C, 250°C was analyzed. The electron density redistribution during the Zn–Sn–O composite nanostructures formation manifests itself in the chemical shift of the O1s and Zn2p peaks. It confirm the rearrangement of chemical bonds when zinc atoms are replaced by tin ones. It was found that the sensitivity of composite structures to isopropyl alcohol vapors significantly exceeds that of ZnO in the entire temperature range under study. The improvement of gas-sensitive properties is associated with the presence of various types of surface centers in the Zn–Sn–O samples that participate in the adsorption and oxidation of isopropyl alcohol.
Keywords: zinc oxide, zinc stannate, gas sensors, nanorods, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy
- Svetlana S. Nalimova – Ph. D., Docent, Micro- and Nanoelectronics Department, Saint Petersburg Electrotechnical University «LETI»
- Zamir V. Shomakhov – Ph. D., Docent, Electronics and Digital Information Technologies Department, Kabardino-Balkarian State University
- Ksenia N. Punegova – undergraduate student, Micro- and Nanoelectronics Department, Saint Petersburg Electrotechnical University «LETI»
- Andrey A. Ryabko – Junior Researcher, Micro- and Nanoelectronics Department, Saint Petersburg Electrotechnical University «LETI»
- Aleksandr I. Maximov – Ph. D., Docent of Micro- and Nanoelectronics Department, Saint Petersburg Electrotechnical University «LETI»
Nalimova, S.S. Synthesis and study of gas-sensitive nanostructures of the Zn–Sn–O system / S.S. Nalimova, Z.V. Shomakhov, K.N. Punegova, A.A. Ryabko, A.I. Maximov // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2021. — I. 13. — P. 910-918. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.910. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Anikina M.A., Ryabko A.A., Nalimova S.S., Maximov A.I. Synthesis and study of zinc oxide nanorods for semiconductor adsorption gas sensors, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2021, vol. 1851, art. no. 012010, 5 p. DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/1851/1/012010.
2. Dimitrov D.T., Nikolaev N.K., Papazova K.I. et al. Investigation of the electrical and ethanol-vapour sensing properties of the junctions based on ZnO nanostructured thin film doped with copper, Applied Surface Science, 2017, vol. 392, pp. 95-108. DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2016.08.049.
3. Krasteva L.K., Dimitrov D.T., Papazova K.I. et al. Synthesis and characterization of nanostructured zinc oxide layers for sensor applications, Semiconductors, 2013, vol. 47, issue 4, pp. 586-591. DOI: 10.1134/S1063782613040155.
4. Mongwaketsi N., Khamlich S., Kaviyarasu K., Matinise N., Maaza M. Green synthesis of zinc tin oxide (ZnSnO3) nanoparticles using Aspalathus Linearis natural extracts: Structural, morphological, optical and electrochemistry study, Applied Surface Science, 2018, vol. 446, pp. 250-257. DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2017.12.161.
5. Wang B.S., Yu J.B., Li X.H., Yin J., Chen M. Synthesis and high formaldehyde sensing properties of quasi two-dimensional mesoporous ZnSnO3 nanomaterials, RSC Advances, 2019, vol. 9, issue 26, pp. 14809-14816. DOI: 10.1039/C9RA01593K.
6. Yin Y., Shen Y., Zhou P. et al. Fabrication, characterization and n -propanol sensing properties of perovskite-type ZnSnO3 nanospheres based gas sensor, Applied Surface Science, 2020, vol. 509, art. no. 145335, 10 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2020.145335.
7. Levkevich E.A., Maksimov A.I., Kirillova S.A., Nalimova S.S., Kondrat'ev V.M. Synthesis, investigation and gas sensitivity of zinc stannate layers, IEEE Conference of Russian Young Researchers in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EIConRus), 27-30 January 2020, St. Petersburg and Moscow, Russia, New York, IEEE, 2020, pp. 984-986. DOI: 10.1109/EIConRus49466.2020.9039451.
8. Levkevich E.A., Semenova A.A., Maximov A.I. et al. Study of interaction between H2O molecules and ZTO-ZSH surface, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2020, vol. 2280, issue 1. art. no. 050030, 5 p. DOI: 10.1063/5.0018936.
9. Wang X., Xia M., Li H. et al. Preparation of transparent amorphous ZnSnO3 cubic nanoparticles and light-induced homostructures: Application in UV sensor and room temperature gas sensor, Applied Surface Science, 2019, vol. 493, pp. 862-872. DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2019.07.081.
10. Feng G., Che Y., Song C., Xiao J., Fan X., Sun S., Huang G., Ma Y. Morphology-controlled synthesis of ZnSnO3 hollow spheres and their n -butanol gas-sensing performance, Ceramics International, 2021, vol. 47, issue 2, pp. 2471-2482. DOI: 10.1016/j.ceramint.2020.09.090.
11. Guo W.W., Zhao B.Y., Fu M., Wang C.J., Peng R. One pot synthesis of hierarchical and porous ZnSnO3 nanocubes and gas sensing properties to formaldehyde, Results in Physics, 2019, vol. 15, art. no. 102606, 6 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.rinp.2019.102606.
12. Chen Q., Wang Y.H., Wang M.X. et al. Enhanced acetone sensor based on Au functionalized In -doped ZnSnO3 nanofibers synthesized by electrospinning method, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2019, vol. 543, pp. 285-299. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2019.02.055.
13. Wang X.Y., Ding B.N., Liu Y.P. et al. Synthesis of 3D flower-like ZnSnO3 and improvement of ethanol-sensing properties at room temperature based on nano-TiO2 decoration and UV radiation, Sensors and Actuators B, 2018, vol. 264, pp. 119-127. DOI: 10.1016/j.snb.2018.02.178.
14. Ryabko A.A., Maximov A.I., Moshnikov V.A. et al. Two-stage synthesis of structured microsystems based on zinc-oxide nanorods by ultrasonic spray pyrolysis and the low-temperature hydrothermal method, Semiconductors, 2020, vol. 54, issue 11, pp. 1496-1502. DOI: 10.1134/S1063782620110238.
15. Nalimova S.S., Ryabko A.A., Maximov A.I., Moshnikov V.A. Light-activation of gas sensitive layers based on zinc oxide nanowires, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2020, vol. 1697, art. no. 012128, 6 p. DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/1697/1/012128.
16. Bobkov A., Moshnikov V., Varezhnikov A. et al. The multisensor array based on grown-on-chip zinc oxide nanorod network for selective discrimination of alcohol vapors at sub-ppm range, Sensors, 2019, vol. 19, issue 19, art. no. 4265, 13 p. DOI: 10.3390/s19194265.
17. Shomakhov Z.V., Nalimova S.S., Kalazhokov Z.Kh., Moshnikov V.A. Analiz izmeneniya sostava poverkhnosti pri obrazovanii nanostruktur stannata tsinka [Analysis of changes in the surface composition during formation of zinc stannate nanostructures], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2020, issue. 12, pp. 222-231. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2020.12.222. (In Russian).
18. Nalimova S.S., Maksimov A.I., Matyushkin L.B., Moshnikov V.A. Current state of studies on synthesis and application of zinc stannate (review), Glass Physics and Chemistry, 2019, vol. 45, issue 4, pp. 251-260. DOI: 10.1134/S1087659619040096.