Physico-chemical properties of a nanocomposite hydrogel coating on a textile carrier for the wound treatment
A.I. Kovtun, A.G. Mysyura
Institute of Applied Problems of Physics and Biophysics of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
Abstract: Nanotechnologies using biopolymers are widely used in biomedical applications. In this work, nanocomposite hydrogels based on natural (chitosan, carboxymethylcellulose) and synthetic (polyvinyl alcohol) polymers with silver nanoparticles for application to a textile carrier have been developed. Carboxymethylcellulose dialdehyde and boric acid were used as crosslinking reagents in the creation of hydrogels. Physicochemical properties (sorption capacity in unilateral contact with the model medium, degree of swelling, vapor permeability, capillarity) of hydrogel coatings on a textile carrier, and the kinetics of the drugs release (lidocaine, dioxidine) included in the hydrogels were determined. It is shown that materials with a two-layer coating are characterized by higher sorption properties relative to saline and a longer release of drugs than materials with a single-layer coating. The release of drugs from the two-layer coatings occurs in two stages with a maximum release within two days. The obtained textile materials with a film nanocomposite hydrogel coating can be used as dressings in the treatment of wounds.
Keywords: hydrogel, silver nanoparticles, textile, chitosan, polyvinyl alcohol, carboxymethylcellulose dialdehyde, drug release kinetics, dressing, wound treatment
- Anna I. Kovtun – Ph. D., Researcher, Biophysics Department, Institute of Applied Problems of Physics and Biophysics of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- Anatoliy G. Mysyura – Dr. Sc., Head of the Department of Biophysics, Institute of Applied Problems of Physics and Biophysics of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
Kovtun, A.I. Physico-chemical properties of a nanocomposite hydrogel coating on a textile carrier for the wound treatment / A.I. Kovtun, A.G. Mysyura // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2021. — I. 13. — P. 717-727. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.717. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Salgueiro A.M., Daniel-da-Silva A.L., Fateixa S., Trindade T. k-Carrageenan hydrogel nanocomposites with release behavior mediated by morphological distinct Au nanofillers, Carbohydrate Polymers, 2013, vol. 91, issue 1, pp. 100-109. DOI: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2012.08.004.
2. Daniel-da-Silva A.L., Moreira J., Neto R. et al. Impact of magnetic nanofillers in the swelling and release properties of k-carrageenan hydrogel nanocomposites, Carbohydrate Polymer, 2012, vol. 87, issue 1, pp. 328-335. DOI: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2011.07.051.
3. Hezaveh H., Muhamad I.I. The effect of nanoparticles on gastrointestinal release from modified k-carrageenan nanocomposite hydrogels, Carbohydrate Polymers, 2012, vol. 89, issue 1, pp. 138-145. DOI: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2012.02.062.
4. Dhiman N.K., Agnihotri S. Hierarchically aligned nano silver/chitosan-PVA hydrogel for point-of-use water disinfection: contact-active mechanism revealed, Environmental Science: Nano, 2020, vol. 7, issue 8, pp. 2337- 2350. DOI: 10.1039/d0en00405g.
5. Narayanan K.B., Han S.S. Dual-crosslinked poly(vinyl alcohol)/sodium alginate/silver nanocomposite beads - A promising antimicrobial material, Food Chemistry, 2017, vol. 234, pp. 103-110. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.04.173.
6. Eghbalifam N., Frounchi M., Dadbin S. Antibacterial silver nanoparticles in polyvinyl alcohol/sodium alginate blend produced by gamma irradiation, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2015, vol. 80, pp.170-176. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2015.06.042.
7. Abou-Okeil A., Sheta A.M., Amr A., Ali M.A. Wound dressing based on nonwoven viscose fabrics, Carbohydrate Polymers, 2012, vol. 90, issue 1, pp. 658-666. DOI: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2012.05.093.
8. Shanmugasundaram O.L. Chitosan coated cotton yarn and its effect on antimicrobial activity, Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, 2006, vol. 5, issue. 3, pp. 1-6.
9. Grgac S.F., Tarbuk A., Dekanić T. et al. The chitosan implementation into cotton and polyester/cotton blend fabrics, Materials, 2020, vol. 13, issue 7, art. no. 1616, 19 p. DOI: 10.3390/ma13071616.
10. Singh B., Pal L. Sterculia crosslinked PVA and PVA-poly(AAm) hydrogel wound dressings for slow drug delivery: mechanical, mucoadhesive, biocompatible and permeability properties, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 2012, vol. 9, pp. 9-21. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmbbm.2012.01.021.
11. Wang Q., Du Y., Fan L. Properties of chitosan/poly(vinyl alcohol) films for drug-controlled release, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2005, vol. 96, issue 3, pp. 808-813. DOI: 10.1002/app.21518.
12. Pinho E., Calhelha R.C., Ferreira I.C.F.R., Soares G. Cotton-hydrogel composite for improved wound healing: Antimicrobial activity and anti-inflammatory evaluation-Part 2, Polymers for Advanced Technologies, 2019, vol. 30, issue 4, pp. 863-871. DOI: 10.1002/pat.4519.
13. Thu H.-E., Zulfakar M.H., Ng S.-F. Alginate based bilayer hydrocolloid films as potential slow-release modern wound dressing, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2012, vol. 434, issue 1-2, pp. 375-383. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2012.05.044.
14. Han F., Dong Y., Song A., Yin R., Li S. Alginate/chitosan based bi-layer composite membrane as potential sustained-release wound dressing containing ciprofloxacin hydrochloride, Applied Surface Science, 2014, vol. 311, pp. 626-634. DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2014.05.125.
15. Kisterska L.D., Zozulya V.V., Perevertajlo V.M. et al. Doslidzhennia fizyko-khimichnykh vlastyvostei ta protymikrobnoi aktyvnosti nanosuspenzii sribla [Investigation of the physicochemical properties and antimicrobial activity of silver nanosupenses], Nanostrukturnoe materialovedenie [Nanostructured Materials Science], 2009, no. 2, pp. 33-39 (In Ukrainian).
16. Kisterska L.D., Loginova O.B., Sadohin V.V., Sadohin V.P. Innovatsiina tekhnolohiia vyrobnytstva biosumisnykh nanodezinfektantiv novoho pokolinnia [Innovative technology of production of biosomative nanodesinfectants of new generation], Vestnik NAN Ukrainy [Bulletin of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine], 2015, no. 1, pp. 39-48 (in Ukrainian).
17. Konoplya M.M., Kovtun A.I., Mysyura A.G. Mnogoslojnyj material dlya applikatsij s biologicheski-aktivnym pokrytiem [Multilayer material for applications with bioactive coating]. Patent Ukraine, no. 92557, 2014. (In Russian).
18. Polotna tekstil'nye. Metody opredeleniya gigroskopicheskikh i vodoottalkivayushchikh svojstv: GOST 3816- 81 (ISO 811-81) [Textile fabrics. Methods for determination of hygroscoric and water-repellent properties: State Standard 3816-81 (ISO 811-81)]. Moscow, IPK Standartov Publ., 1997, 12 p. (In Russian).