Study of the structure and properties of lead-free rapidly solidified zinc-based alloys during a heat treatment
D.A. Zernitsa1, V.G. Shepelevich2
1 Mozyr State Pedagogical University named after I.P. Shamiakin
2 Belarusian State University
Abstract: The results of studies of the effect of ultrahigh melt cooling rates, equal to at least 105 K/s, on the properties of rapidly solidified alloys of the Zn–Sn system are presented. The upper region of the foil, in contact with the crystallizer during solidification, had more dispersed particles of the second phase, and as the distance from the upper layers increased, the particle sizes increased. At room temperature, the decomposition of a supersaturated solid solution proceeds with the release of dispersed particles. Additional heat treatment leads to the coarsening of the particles of the second phase, and helps to reduce the microhardness. Rapidly solidified foils with a maximum zinc concentration are characterized by the presence of a (0001) texture, which weakens as the tin content in zinc increases, and upon alloying up to 30 wt. % Sn is rearranged to (1010) texture. Heat treatment up to 160 °C does not change the texture.
Keywords: rapidly solidification, lead-free solders, Zn–Sn alloy, microhardness, unit cell, isochronous annealing, decomposition, solid solution
- Denis A. Zernitsa – Postgraduate Student, Junior Researcher, Department of Physics and Mathematics, Faculty of Physics and Engineering, Mozyr State Pedagogical University named after I.P. Shamiakin
- Vasilii G. Shepelevich – Dr. Sc., Professor, Department of Solid State Physics, Faculty of Physics, Belarusian State University
Zernitsa, D.A. Study of the structure and properties of lead-free rapidly solidified zinc-based alloys during a heat treatment / D.A. Zernitsa, V.G. Shepelevich // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. – Tver: TSU, 2021. — I. 13. — P. 672-681. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.672. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Herman H. Ultrarapid quenching of liquid alloys. New York, London, Paris etc., Academic Press, 1981, xiv, 448 p.
2. Santos W.L.R. Brito C., Quaresma J.M.V., Spinelli J.E., Garcia A. Plate-like cell growth during directional solidification of a Zn–20 wt % Sn high-temperature lead-free solder alloy, Materials Science and Engineering, 2014, vol. 182, pp. 29-36. DOI: 10.1016/j.mseb.2013.11.016.
3. Hsuan T.C., Lin K.L. Effects of aging treatment of mechanical properties and microstructure of Sn–8,5Zn–0,5Ag–0,01Al–0,1Ga solder, Materials Science and Engineering A, 2007, vol. 456, issue 1-2, pp. 209-219. DOI: 10.1016/j.msea.2006.11.144.
4. Miroshnichenko I.S. Zakalka iz zhidkogo sostoyaniya [Quenching from a liquid state]. Moscow, Metallurgiya Publ., 1982, 168 p. (In Russian).
5. Saltykov S.A. Stereometricheskaya metallografiya (stereologiya metallicheskikh materialov) [Stereometric metallography (stereology of metallic materials)]. Moscow, Metallurgiya Publ., 1976, 270 p. (In Russian).
6. Santos W.L.R., Brito C., Bertelli F., Spinelli J.E., Garcia A. Microstructural development of hypoeutectic Zn–(10–40) wt % Sn solder alloys and impacts of interphase spacing and macrosegregation pattern on hardness, Journal of Alloys and compounds, 2015, vol. 647, pp. 989-996. DOI 10.1016/j.jallcom.2015.05.195.
7. Vasil'ev V.A., Mitin B.S., Pashkov I.N. et al. Vysokoskorostnoe zatverdevanie rasplava (teoriya, tekhnologiya i materialy) [High-speed solidification of the melt (theory, technology and materials)], ed. by B.S. Mitin. Moscow, Intermet inzhiniring Publ., 1998, 400 p. (In Russian).
8. Novikov I.I. Teoriya termicheskoi obrabotki metallov [Theory of heat treatment of metals]. Moscow, Metallurgiya Publ., 1986, 480 p. (In Russian).
9. Shepelevich V.G. Formirovanie mikrostruktury splava Bi–40 mas. % Sn pri vysokoskorostnoi kristallizatsii [Formation of microstructure of Bi–40 wt. % Sn alloy during hightspeed crystallization], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2017, issue 9, pp. 522-528. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2017.9.522. (In Russian).
10. Shepelevich V.G., Gusakova O.V., Husakova S.V. Fazovyi sostav, mikrostruktura i mikrotverdost' splava In–Sn, poluchennogo vysokoskorostnoi kristallizatsiei [Phase composition, microstructure and microhardness of alloy In–Sn, obtained by rapid crystallization], Vestsі Natsyyanal'nai akadehmіі navuk Belarusі. Seryya fіzіka-tehkhnіchnykh navuk [Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. Physical-technical series], 2018, V. 63, no. 3, pp. 290-296. DOI: 10.29235/1561-8358-2018-63-3-290-296. (In Russian).
11. Shepelevich V.G., Zernitsa D.A. Struktura bystrozatverdevshei folgi ehvtekticheskogo splava Sn–8,8 mas. % Zn [The structure of rapidly solidified foil of the eutectic Sn–8,8 wt. % Zn alloy], Zhurnal Belorusskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Fizika [Journal of the Belarusian State University. Physics], 2020, no. 1, pp. 67-72. DOI: 10.33581/2520-2243-2020-1-67-72. (In Russian).