Physico-chemical properties of electrochromic complex tungsten oxides
Kabardino-Balkarian State University named after H.M. Berbekov
Abstract: A brief review of the problem of electrochromism in disordered thin films of complex tungsten oxides is given on the basis of experimental results published earlier. The problems of the ion- electron ordering in complex tungsten oxides MxWO3(M=Na or K and x=0,3) are regarded as well as their relationship with the dynamics of the process of electrochromic coloring in these condensed systems. Possible ways of solving the indicated problems are considered. The starting point of our campaign to study the electrochromism and to develop the physical grounds of the technology of electrochromic devices was the rejection of the generally accepted electrochemical consideration of this phenomenon. We are convinced that the electrochromic effect is a purely solid-state one occurring in a condensed system with a strong electron correlation. The electronic structure of a solid at the solid- electrolyte interface largely controls the nature and rate of reactions that take place on its surface. In the case of oxides, the role played by the electronic structure is particularly complex. All of the above indicates the need to consider the effect of deep levels in the bulk of the oxide tungsten bronze and on its surface, bordering the electrolyte, on the process of electrochromic coloring.
Keywords: complex tungsten oxides, electrochromic effect, tungsten oxide bronze, thin film, monocrystal
- Boris M. Khubolov – Ph. D., Leading Researcher, Scientific Research and Innovation Department, Head of the Laboratory of Electrochromic Materials, Department of Experimental and Theoretical Physics, Institute of Physics and Mathematics, Kabardino-Balkarian State University named after H.M. Berbekov
Khubolov, B.M. Physico-chemical properties of electrochromic complex tungsten oxides / B.M. Khubolov // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2021. — I. 13. — P. 421-429. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.421. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Oi T. Electrochromatic materials, Annual Review of Materials Science, 1986, vol. 16, pp. 185-201. DOI: 10.1146/annurev.ms.16.080186.001153.
2. Deb S.K. Optical and photoelectric properties and colour centers in thin films of tungsten oxide, The Philosophical Magazine: A Journal of Theoretical Experimental and Applied Physics, 1973, vol. 27, issue 4, pp. 801-822. DOI: 10.1080/14786437308227562.
3. Faunen B.V., Krendell R.S. Elektrokhromnye displei na osnove WO3 [Electrochromic displays on the basis of WO3 ], Displays, ed. by Zh.M. Pankov. Moscow, Mir Publ., 1982, pp. 228-266 (In Russian).
4. Dautremont-Smith W.C. Transition metal oxide electrochromic materials and displays. Part 1: oxides with cathodic coloration, Displays, 1982, vol. 3, issue 1, pp. 3-22. DOI: 10.1016/0141-9382(82)90061-0.
5. Ozerov R.P. Kristallokhimiya kislorodnykh soedinenij vanadiya, vol'frama i molibdena [Crystallochemistry of oxygen compounds of vanadium, tungsten and molybdenum], Russian Chemical Reviews, 1955, vol. 24, issue 6, pp. 951-984. (In Russian).
6. Collongues R. La non-stoechiometrie. Paris, Masson, 1971, 230 p. (in French).
7. Kotvanova М.K., Perov E.I. Vol'framovye oksidnye bronzy s tyazhelymi shchelochnymi metallami [Tungsten Oxide Bronzes with Heavy Alkali Metals], Fundamental'nye issledovaniya [Fundamental research], 2004, no. 3, p. 125. (In Russian).
8. Leonova L.S., Levchenko A.V., Moskvina E.I. et al. Tungsten oxide bronzes with alkali metals, Russian Journal of Electrochemistry, 2009, vol. 45, issue 5, pp. 593-601. DOI: 10.1134/S1023193509050188.
9. Colton R.J., Guzman A.M., Rabalais J.W. Photochromism and electromism in amorphous transition metal oxide films, Accounts of Chemical Research, 1978, vol. 11, issue 4, pp. 170-176. DOI: 10.1021/ar50124a008.
10. Sekushin N.A. Electrochromism of amorphous WO3 films under the conditions of proton deficiency, Russian Journal of Electrochemistry, 2009, vol. 45, issue 12, pp. 1340-1345. DOI: 10.1134/S1023193509120040.
11. Chang I.F., Gilbert B.L., Sun T.I. Electrochemichromic systems for display applications, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 1975, vol. 122, issue 7, pp. 955-962. DOI: 10.1149/1.2134377.
12. Khubolov B.M., Podlinov V.P. Injection of holes and their localization in defect states at the interface between an electrochromically sensitive single crystal and an amorphous thin film of a complex tungsten oxide, Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences: Physics, 2007, vol. 71, issue 8, pp. 1164-1167. DOI: 10.3103/S1062873807080333.
13. Khubolov B.M. Issledovanie elektronnoj struktury monokristallov i tonkikh plenok natrij-vol'framovykh bronz metodom rentgenoelektronnoj spektroskopii [Electronic structure study of single crystals and thin films of sodium- tungsten bronze by X-ray electron spectroscopy method], Poverkhnost'. Rentgenovskie, sinkhrotronnye i nejtronnye issledovan [Journal of Surface Investigation: X-Ray, Synchrotron and Neutron Techniques], 2003, no. 7, pp. 43.-48 (In Russian).
14. Kao K.C., Hwang W. Electrical transport in solids with particular reference to organic semiconductors. Oxford, New York, Toronto, Sidney, Paris, Frankfurt, Pergamon Press, 1981, xx, 663 p.
15. Gerischer H. Über den ablauf von redoxreaktionen an metallen und an halbleitern iii. halbleiterelektroden, Zeitschrift Fur Physikalische Chemie, 1961, bd. 27. ss. 48-79. DOI: 10.1524/zpch.1961.27.1_2.048. (In German).
16. Gerischer H. Semiconductor electrode reactions, Advances in Electrochemistry and Electrochemical engineering, vol. 1: Electrochemistry, ed. by P. Delahay, C.W. Tobias. New York, Wiley – Interscience Publishers, 1961, pp. 139-232.
17. Khubolov B.M., Khokonova Zh. Kh., Podlinov V.P. Spektry pogloshcheniia amorfnykh tonkikh plenok oksidnykh vol’framovykh bronz [Absorption spectra of amorphous thin films of tungsten oxide bronzes], Poverkhnost'. Rentgenovskie, sinkhrotronnye i nejtronnye issledovan [Journal of Surface Investigation: X-Ray, Synchrotron and Neutron Techniques], 2004, no. 2, pp. 95-99. (In Russian).
18. Khubolov B.M., Khokonova Zh. Kh., Podlinov V.P. Elektrokhromnaya effektivnost' amorfnykh tonkikh plenok slozhnogo oksida vol'frama [Eleсtroсhromatiс efficiency of amorphous thin films of tungsten complicated oxide], Poverkhnost'. Rentgenovskie, sinkhrotronnye i nejtronnye issledovan [Journal of Surface Investigation: X- Ray, Synchrotron and Neutron Techniques], 2004, no. 7, pp. 86-90. (In Russian).