Influence of the method of doping on uniformity and optical properties of LiNbO3:Mg crystals
N.V. Sidorov, N.A. Teplyakova, M.N. Palatnikov
Tananaev Institute of Chemistry Subdivision of the Federal Research Centre «Kola Science Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences»
Abstract: The paper considers results for strongly doped turned to a single domain state crystals LiNbO3: Mg(5,03 mol % MgO and LiNbO3:Mg ( 4,75 mol % MgO ). Magnesium concentration in these crystals is close to each other and to threshold ≈5 mol % MgO . Crystals were grown from a charge synthesized using precursor LiNbO3:Mg (homogeneous doping method) and from a charge obtained at a direct addition of magnesium to the charge (direct doping method). Complex studies were carried out by Raman spectroscopy and laser conoscopy. Compositional homogeneity and some optical properties of studied crystals are considered. Homogeneous doping with precursor Nb2O5:Mg method allows us to obtain heavily doped LiNbO3:Mg single crystals with low coercive field and more compositionally homogeneous than method of direct melt doping with magnesium. In this case, a more uniform distribution of the dopant in homogeneously doped crystals begins to form at the stage of Nb2O5:Mg precursor synthesis during the formation of chemically active complexes that predominantly determine the oxygen-octahedral structure of the Nb2O5:Mg precursor.
Keywords: lithium niobate crystal, homogeneous and direct doping, Raman scattering, laser conoscopy
- Nikolay V. Sidorov – Dr. Sc., Professor, Chief Researcher and acting Head of Sector of Vibrational Spectroscopy of Materials of Electronic Engineering Laboratory, Tananaev Institute of Chemistry Subdivision of the Federal Research Centre «Kola Science Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences»
- Natalya A. Teplyakova – Ph. D., Senior Researcher, Sector of Vibrational Spectroscopy of Materials of Electronic Engineering Laboratory, Tananaev Institute of Chemistry Subdivision of the Federal Research Centre «Kola Science Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences»
- Mikhail N. Palatnikov – Dr. Sc., Chief Researcher and acting Head of Materials of Electronic Engineering Laboratory, Tananaev Institute of Chemistry Subdivision of the Federal Research Centre «Kola Science Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences»
Sidorov, N.V. Influence of the method of doping on uniformity and optical properties of LiNbO3:Mg crystals / N.V. Sidorov, N.A. Teplyakova, M.N. Palatnikov // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2021. — I. 13. — P. 383-391. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.383. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Sidorov N.V., Volk T.P., Mavrin B.N., Kalinnikov V.T. Niobat litiya: defekty, fotorefraktsiya, kolebatel'nyi spektr, polyaritony [Lithium niobate: defects, photorefraction, vibrational spectrum, polaritons]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 2003, 255 p. (In Russian).
2. Kokhanchik L.S., Emelin E.V., Palatnikov M.N. Domain formation in heavily doped LiNbO3:Mg crystals exposed to an electron beam, Inorganic Materials. 2015, vol. 51, issue 6, pp. 607-612. DOI: 10.1134/S0020168515060084.
3. Shur V.Ya., Akhmatkhanov A.R., Baturin I.S. Micro- and nano-domain engineering in lithium niobate, Applied Physics Reviews, 2015, vol. 2, issue 4, pp. 040604-1-040604-22. DOI: 10.1063/1.4928591.
4. Kemlin V., Jegouso D., Debray J. et al. Dual-wavelength source from 5 % MgO :PPLN cylinders for the characterization of nonlinear infrared crystals, Optics Express, 2013, vol. 21, issue 23, pp. 28886-28891. DOI: 10.1364/OE.21.028886.
5. Murray R.T., Runcorn T.H., Guha S., Taylor J.R. High average power parametric wavelength conversion at 3,31 – 3,48 μm in MgO :PPLN, Optics express, 2017, vol. 25, issue 6, pp. 6421-6430 DOI: 10.1364/OE.25.006421.
6. Sidorov N.V., Bobreva L.A., Teplyakova N.A., Palatnikov M.N., Makarova O.V. A comparative study of the structure and chemical homogeneity of LiNbO3:Mg (~5,3 mol. %) crystals grown from charges of different origins, Inorganic Materials, 2019, vol. 55, issue 11, pp. 1132-1137. DOI: 10.1134/S0020168519100145.
7. Spektroskopiya oksidnykh kristallov dlya kvantovoj elektroniki [Spectroscopy of oxide crystals for quantum electronics], ed. by V.V. Osiko, Proceedings of Prokhorov General Physics Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences [Trudy IOFAN], vol. 29. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1991, 142 p. (In Russian).
8. Voronko Yu.K., Kudryavtsev A.B., Osiko V.V., Sobol A.A., Sorokin E.V. Issledovanie fazovykh prevrashchenij v niobate i tantalate litiya metodom kombinatsionnogo rasseyaniya sveta [Raman scattering study of phase transitions in lithium niobate and tantallate], Fizika tverdogo tela [Physics of the Solid State], 1987, vol. 29, issue. 5, pp. 1348-1355. (In Russian).
9. Voronko Y.K. Gorbachev A.V., Osiko V.V. et al. Study of the boron oxygen units in crystalline and molten barium metaborate by high-temperature Raman-spectroscopy, Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, 1993, vol. 54, issue 11, pp. 1579-1585. DOI: 10.1016/0022-3697(93)90352-R.
10. Masloboeva S.M., Sidorov N.V., Palatnikov M.N., Arutyunyan L.G., Chufyrev P.G. Niobium(V) oxide doped with Mg2+ and Gd3+ cations: synthesis and structural studies, Russian Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, 2011, vol. 56, issue 8, pp. 1194-1198. DOI: 10.1134/S0036023611080183.
11. Sidorov N.V., Pikoul O.Y., Teplyakova N.A., Palatnikov M.N. Lazernaya konoskopiya i fotoindutsirovannoe rasseyanie sveta v issledovaniyakh svojstv nelinejno-opticheskogo monokristalla niobata litiya [Laser conoscopy and photoinduced light scattering in studies of the properties of a nonlinear optical single crystal of lithium niobate]. Moscow, RAS Publ., 2019, 350 p. (In Russian).
12. Pikoul O.Y. Determination of the optical sign of a crystal by a conoscopic method, Journal of Applied Crystallography, 2010, vol. 43, part 5, no. 1, pp. 955-958. DOI: 10.1107/S0021889810022375.