Barium and calcium niobate ceramics: specific features of their structure
O.S. Guseva1, O.V. Malyshkina2, A.I. Ivanova2, K.N. Boitsova2
1 Tver State Medical University
2 Tver State University
Abstract: We obtained and studied the samples of ceramics based on barium niobate and calcium niobate CaxBa1-xNb2O6 with different percentages of barium and calcium ( x=1 ; 0,9 ; 0,8 ; 0,7 ; 0,6 ; 0,5 ; 0,4; 0,3 ; 0,2; 0,1 and 0). The effect of the sintering temperature on the structure and dielectric properties of ceramics has been investigated. One batch of the samples was sintered at a temperature of 1100°C, the second at 1250°C. We have shown that the sintering temperature of 1100 °C is not enough to obtain good ferroelectric properties, and the process of grain recrystallization is not completed. According to studies of the elemental composition, in samples sintered at a temperature of 1250 °C with the Ca content greater than 0,5, Ba atoms are not present in all grains, which also affects the course of the temperature dependences of the dielectric constant A sample with x=0,3 is distinguished by its dielectric properties.
Keywords: piezoelectric ceramics, barium-calcium niobate, lead-free materials, grain structure, permittivity
- Olga S. Guseva – Assistant, Physics, Mathematics and Medical Informatics Department, Tver State Medical University
- Olga V. Malyshkina – Dr. Sc., Full Professor, Head of the Department of Dissertation Councils and Doctorate Studies, Scientific Research Department, Tver State University
- Alexandra I. Ivanova – Ph. D., Docent, Applied Physic Department, Tver State University
- Kristina N. Boitsova – Ph. D., Docent, Applied Physic Department, Tver State University
Guseva, O.S. Barium and calcium niobate ceramics: specific features of their structure / O.S. Guseva, O.V. Malyshkina, A.I. Ivanova, K.N. Boitsova // Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials. — 2021. — I. 13. — P. 85-95. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2021.13.085. (In Russian).
Full article (in Russian): download PDF file
1. Okazaki K. Ceramic engineering for dielectrics. Tokyo: Gakken-sha, Publishing Co., Ltd., 1969, 532 p. (In Japanese) [Okadzaki K. Tekhnologiya keramicheskikh diehlektrikov [Ceramic dielectric technology], transl. by M.M. Bogachikhina, L.R. Zajontsa. Moscow, Ehnergiya Publ., 1976, 336 p. (In Russian)].
2. Smolenskii G.A., Isupov V.A. Segnetoehlektricheskie svoistva tverdykh rastvorov stanata bariya v titanate bariya [Ferroelectric properties of solid solutions of barium stanate in barium titanate], Zhurnal tekhnicheskoi fiziki, 1954, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1375-1386. (In Russian).
3. Uchino K. Advanced piezoelectric materials. Science and technology. Oxford, Cambridge, Philadelphia, New Delhi, Woodhead Publishing, 2010, 688 p.
4. Golovnin V.А., Kaplunov I.А., Ped'ko B.B., Malyshkina O.V., Movchikova А.А. Fizicheskie osnovy, metody issledovaniya i prakticheskoe primenenie p'ezomaterialov [Physical foundations, research methods and practical application of piezomaterials]. – Moscow, TEKHNOSFERА Publ., 2013. – 272 p. (In Russian).
5. Directive 2002/95/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 January 2003 on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic, Official Journal of the European Union L 37, 2003, vol. 46, pp. 19-23.
6. Smolenskii G.A., Isupov V.A. Fazovye perekhody v nekotorykh tverdykh rastvorakh, obladayushchikh segnetoehlektricheskimi svoistvami [Phase transitions in some solid solutions with ferroelectric properties], Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR, 1954, vol. XCVI, no. 1, pp. 53-54. (In Russian).
7. Buscaglia M.T., Buscaglia V., Viviani M. et al. Influence of foreign ions on the crystal structure of BaTiO3, Journal of the Europen Ceramic Society, 2000, vol. 20, issue 12, pp. 1997-2007. DOI: 10.1016/S0955-2219(00)00076-5.
8. Lukasiewicz T., Swirkowicz M.A., Dec J. et al. Strontium–barium niobate single crystals, growth and ferroelectric properties, Journal of Crystal Growth, 2008, vol. 310, issue 7, pp. 1464-1469. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcrysgro.2007.11.233.
9. Malyshkina O.V., Lisitsin V.S., Dec J., Łukasiewicz T. Pyroelectric and dielectric properties of calcium barium niobate single crystals, Physics of the Solid State, 2014, vol. 56, issue 9, pp. 1824-1827. DOI: 10.1134/S1063783414090194.
10. Malyshkina O.V., Ivanova A.I., Karelina K.S., Petrov R.A. Osobennosti struktury keramiki na osnove titanata bariya i titanata kal'tsiya [Structure features of barium and calcium titanate ceramics], Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nanostruktur i nanomaterialov [Physical and chemical aspects of the study of clusters, nanostructures and nanomaterials], 2020, issue 12, pp. 652-661. DOI: 10.26456/pcascnn/2020.12.652. (In Russian).
11. Eßer M., Burianek M., Klimm D., Mühlberg M. Single crystal growth of the tetragonal tungsten bronze Cax Ba1-x Nb2 O6 (x=0,28; CBN—28), Journal of Crystal Growth, 2002, vol. 240, issue 1-2, pp. 1-5. DOI: 10.1016/S0022-0248(02)00868-0.